7 Tips & Tricks to Ensure Your Spring Road Trip is a Successful One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Spring is almost here, which means the country is ready to greet you with amazing sites and breathtaking views. With many of the ice driving hazards at bay and the frustration of summer heat hibernating, spring is the perfect time for an extended road trip. Whether your road trip is 2 hours or 12 there’s a set of tips and tricks necessary to make sure nothing goes sour.

1. Study the route

There’s a lot of excitement in traveling to the unknown, but I guarantee that excitement will die when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere with no gas. Studying the route allows you to make sure you’re never too far from a gas station when needed, provides back up when your LTE goes out, and helps you avoid stopping in sketchy towns. You’ll still have the excitement of seeing something new, but you’ll have the comfort of knowing where you’re going to.

2. Top off the tank

Gas is one of the most important aspects of a road trip. Making sure you have too much and never too little can be the difference between life and death. When traveling, many of the towns you’ll go through may not have gas stations at all. The worst mistake you can make is pushing it too far and end up stranded. Take advantage of the few gas stations you’ll see on the way by topping off frequently.

3. Split the drive up

If you’re lucky enough to be traveling with multiple drivers, take advantage by splitting up the driving time. This will allow you to get there quickly and take less rest stops. Putting the strain on one driver can be dangerous, especially on a trip that’s longer than 4 hours.

4. Never stop anywhere you don’t feel comfortable

Traveling to a new place is exhilarating, but it also requires you to use your best judgment. Stopping in the strange little town for a photo-shoot may not be the best idea and eating from the restaurant with the broken sign may be something you regret later.

5. Download your Spotify, Apple Music, or Soundcloud to your phone

No road trip is complete without the perfect music to ride to. One of the most irritating feelings is when the song stops suddenly right before the best part. Avoid this awkward moment by downloading the music straight to your phone.

6. Triple check any reservations or planned activities

Call ahead of time to make sure everything is set in stone. Some of the most inconvenient things like an overbooked hotel happen at the worst times. Avoid being stuck out by making sure nothing gets in between you and your reservation and planned activities.

7. Let loose and enjoy the ride

Although many of the tips and trips I gave included being prepared, it’s important to leave room for spontaneous activities and fun. Try not to be the person that is trying to stick to the plan so tight that they miss unplanned fun. Road trips are the best trips to take when you have time to enjoy the ride. 

Kayla Charles is currently studying Merchandising and Digital Retailing at the University of North Texas. The Houston, Texas native is very passionate about writing, fashion, and the celebration of women. Kayla is proud to represent Her Campus UNT.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.