7 Songs to Get You Through Finals Week (or Any Obstacle)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

With finals week quickly approaching, I thought it’d be appropriate to share some of the songs that I personally turn to when I need an extra ounce of courage. From ballads to anthems, Tyler, The Creator to Tame Impala, here are seven songs that can help you power through finals week or whatever challenges you might be facing. Lyrics courtesy of genius.com.  

1. “Find Your Wings” – Tyler, The Creator

Best line: ‘Hey you, whatcha doin and why you runnin’? Supposed to fly and take control cause you’re the pilot.’ 

Featuring the melodic vocals of not only Tyler but also Syd and Kali Uchis, “Find Your Wings” is a simple yet satisfying bop that shares a great message about finding inner strength and not giving up on yourself. The song features a smooth, down tempo instrumental track that makes it a perfect song to put on when you need a little motivation to keep going. 

2. “Hero” – Mariah Carey

Best line: ‘So when you feel like hope is gone look inside you and be strong and you’ll finally see the truth that a hero lies in you’

With a vocal range unmatched by most, Mariah is no stranger to power ballads, and she really gave it her all on this one. The universal message about finding inner strength and being your own hero makes it a superb song to have in your back pocket whether you’re facing a challenge or just need a reminder to believe in yourself. 

3. “Ultralight Beam” – Kanye West 

Best line: Don’t have much strength to fight, so I look to the light (war), To make these wrongs turn right head up high I look to the light.’ 

This powerful track off of West’s 2016 album, The Life of Pablo, is arguably some of his best work to date. Featuring an ensemble cast of singers including Kelly Price and Kirk Franklin, among others, the song is really a masterpiece that transmits a message of relying on faith and the light of God to carry you through dark times. 

4. “Gotta Get Thru This” – Daniel Bedingfield

Best line: ‘I gotta get through this, I gotta get through this, I gotta make it, gonna make, gonna make it through.’ 

While Bedingfield might be singing about love, I think the lyrics to this UK garage classic make it the perfect anthem for anyone just trying to make it through. If you’re not sold on the lyrics, allow the infectious, danceable rhythm to offer you a moment of respite from your studies or whatever you may be going through. 

5. “W.A.Y.S.” – Jhené Aiko

Best line: ‘You have gotta lose your mind just to find your peace of mind, you have gotta trust the signs, everything will turn out fine.’ 

This impassioned song from sultry singer Jhené Aiko comes off of her 2014 album, Souled Out. The inspiring lyrics are a call to anyone who might be going through a trial or a rocky phase in life. Aiko is essentially asking listeners to believe in themselves and trust the process, a message anyone can take something away from. 

6. “Patience” – Tame Impala

Best line: ‘It’s always drive straight, don’t be late ‘cause time waits for no one. I should be flying straight with no delay ‘cause time takes from everyone.’

This 2019 single from the mastermind musician Kevin Parker not only offers a smooth, synth driven beat reminiscent of an era gone by, but also lyrics that perfectly embody the drudgery of growing up. Put it on if and when you need a musical reminder to practice patience in all that you do on this journey called life. 

7. “Before I Let Go” – Beyoncé 

Best line: ‘I just wanna have a good time (turn around), turn around, kick, then slide. And twirl that ass to the right, now. Ooh bunny hop, bunny hop, drop pop.’ 

Coming off of her 2019 album Homecoming: The Live Album, Queen Bey really did the damn thing on this one. While the lyrics to this revamped soul classic may not seem inherently inspiring, indeed they are. Consider this last bop on the list a treat for all your hard work. But listen with caution, because you might just need to take a step back from your studies, or whatever you’re doing, and dance a jig or two.

My name is Alexandria but people close to me call me Alex! I am Omaha, Nebraska born and Flower Mound, Texas raised! I love north Texas and consider it my forever home. I love to travel and have been to a handful of countries including England, France and Monaco. I am a francophone and francophile and my dream job is to teach school kids the French language. My hobbies include traveling, writing, reading and recreational sports. The future is female and Black Lives Matter. Go Mean Green! For business inquiries and story ideas email me at alexandriaanders-hall@my.unt.edu
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.