sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways to be Your Own Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

No valentine this year? No problem! Whether you’re just getting over a breakup or you’ve been single for a while, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be miserable. Even if you don’t have someone, you have yourself! So instead of wishing you had a date, spend the day enjoying some much-needed time with the best person you know: yourself.

Have a movie marathon. This is always a great idea for a night-in on Valentine’s Day. Grab some popcorn, some ice cream, or any of your favorite snacks and binge your favorite rom coms or female empowerment movies. Between classics like Legally Blonde or Clueless, or recent films like Crazy, Rich Asians or To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, there are a variety of movies lined up and ready for a Valentine’s Day marathon. Whether you’re watching these by yourself or with your best girls, having a lazy night in on the couch is definitely a way to enjoy being your own valentine.

Pamper yourself. You probably have enough stress with college, you don’t need any more on Valentine’s Day. Take some time to relax and free yourself from it all. You can go out and get a pedicure or stay in and take a long bubble bath. Even putting on a face mask can help reduce stress and make you feel much more at ease. Light some candles, listen to some chill music, and create a space to just take a break from the rest of the world and focus on yourself.

Stay off of social media. This is one way to shut yourself out from the world on Valentine’s Day. Scrolling through hundreds of pictures of couples and messages of love may make you start to feel a little bad about not having a date, so save yourself some trouble and stay off of social media as much as you can. Try to spend some time having fun and thinking about yourself instead of what anyone else is doing with their significant others.

Release any frustrations you have. Sometimes accepting being single is easier said than done. Feeling angry at an ex or annoyed at seeing other couples so happy together? Find a way to let it all out. Write down your feelings in a journal, jam to some angry music, or even break something! I’d recommend trying out The Breakroom, where you can spend as long as you want throwing glasses at a wall or smashing a car, bookshelves, and a variety of other things to break! They even let you play your own music, so you can really get in your element and let out all of your anger.

Treat yourself like the queen you know you are. You know you deserve to be treated right, and it’s up to you to make yourself feel good on this holiday! Buy some flowers for yourself to spice up your home or order some chocolates to be delivered. Maybe go out and buy some jewelry or a new outfit, or go see a movie you’ve been wanting to watch. No matter how you decide to treat yourself, just focus on you and detach yourself from the couples out there.  

Valentine’s Day can be a difficult time of year for singles, but it doesn’t have to be. Instead of feeling upset about not having a significant other to love on this day, focus on what’s more important: self-love. By being your own valentine and getting some necessary alone time, you can have a night you’re sure to enjoy. After all, the only person truly good enough for you is yourself!

Senior at UNT majoring in advertising and double minoring in English and social sciences.