This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Okay, if you’re a college student and say that you’ve never been on Tinder at least once, you’re probably lying. Let’s face it, Tinder is the quickest, easiest way to talk to people you find attractive without hurting anyone’s feelings. But with this easy access comes some risks, too. So here are 5 safe ways to use Tinder so that your swiping skills don’t go to waste. Get to know them a little before you meet. In my experience, the guys (or girls) that immediately ask you to meet are most likely looking for just a hook up. And, hey, if that’s what you’re into, go for it. But make sure you’re safe while doing it, too. Safe hooking up is key in college, so talk to your Tinder match for a day or two over text to catch what kind of vibe they’re giving off. Allowing yourself this virtual communication will also save you the awkward and sometimes painful rejection in person if the two of you just aren’t on the same level. Meet them in a public place. I know, this one seems like it’s common sense. However, you’d be surprised how many guys I’ve matched with have immediately asked me to come to their apartment. Again, if you want to hook up with a guy or a gal just for fun, go for it- but make sure they aren’t a serial killer first. It’s never a good idea to go to a stranger’s apartment or meet them in a private place the first time. People are much different in person than they are over text, so make sure you meet them in a public area to be 100% sure you won’t end up on 60 Minutes. Make sure they know what you want from them. I’ve matched with guys who all want very different things, ranging from a one night stand to a full-blown relationship. Make sure you let your match know what exactly it is that you’re looking for; if it’s a one night stand, that’s fine. If you’re looking for something more serious, that’s fine, too. Just make sure he or she knows before you actually go on a date or into the bedroom. You never want to send mixed signals to anyone, whether you meet them in the library or through Tinder. Do not swipe right on your ex. It happens all the time. We see someone we know, we swipe right to see if they’ve swiped right on us, we laugh about it, and move on. But all too often do you see your ex on Tinder as well, and no matter the situation, most of the time that stings. It’s okay. Just remember that everyone is allowed to move on in their own way, including yourself. So swipe left on your past and keep trudging through. Keep an open mind. No one expects to meet their soulmate through Tinder of all places but I’ve seen it happen. In fact, some of my very close friends have met their significant others through Tinder. So, most importantly, just keep an open mind. If a friend with benefits starts developing into something more, don’t get freaked out just because you met the person because of this app. Go with it, and see where it takes you. And there you have it! Keep these 5 tips in mind while you swipe, and Tinder will bring you a lot more than just a sore thumb. ;)

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.