5 Movies That I Love but the Rest of You Didn’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I have a strange movie taste simply because I like cheesy films that no one else enjoys. They end up being obscure or disliked by critics, or just badly scored on Rotten Tomatoes. Alas, I love them and Hollywood can’t stop my dedication. I now realize that a few of these are Guy Ritchie films and maybe that says something about me more than him.

#5 The Debt (2010) Trailer

I watched this move when I was like 10??? I don’t know why Carlota (my mother) let me watch this spy thriller set in 1960s Germany but, well, here we are. This movie stars both Helen Mirren and Jessica Chastain, two white women that I would lay down my life for. They play the same character but (obviously) the older/younger versions. This movie was crazy, convoluted and at times, had many plot holes but it was so good that to this day I think about certain scenes.

#4 Josie and the Pussycats (2001) Trailer

Ok, listen– hear me out! This crackpot movie was iconic and absolutely no one can tell me otherwise. I genuinely enjoy all three of the actresses playing the titular roles and the plot was so insane it actually worked on me. The recurring joke that the movie was actually just a capitalist plot to lure in teens was funny, yet scarily accurate.

#3 King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword (2017) Trailer

My little brother forced my whole family to watch this movie because we’ve always had a weird fascination the King Arthur and his kingdom. What a surprise when I actually enjoyed the movie so much that I wanted a sequel even if it bombed at the box office. I also really love Charlie Hunnan so that was really fun, Jude Law as a bad guy and Eric Bana as the first king- *chef’s kiss*. I will tell you that we had this soundtrack on loop in the house, those bagpipes on the track, I have to stan. I beg y’all to watch this movie and give my kids a chance.

#2 Jem and the Holograms (2015) Trailer

I loved the cartoon for years, please catch me singing the theme song to this day. The movie was very obviously catered to the teens and I, being 15, fell straight into it. It didn’t follow the cartoon plot at all but I still don’t care. Watching all these pretty girls sing like rockstars in colorful wigs hit hard!! I loved the soundtrack to this too, these songs pop up on my Spotify every once in a while. I deserved a sequel simply because of the end credit scene where Kesha was Pizzazz! I miss her green wig and Jem’s pink wig a lot.

#1 The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) Trailer

Ah yes, my favorite movie, the apple of my eye, the one where everyone keeps teasing me about a sequel but Hollywood won’t actually make it! A Russian, an American, and a German walk into a covert spy operation where the goal is to save the world but also not murder each other. I have such a soft spot for this movie but no one has ever seen it, which hurts me deeply. I watch this every time it’s on cable because it deserves the ratings. One of my favorite relationships is in this movie, and I miss Ilya and Gabby so much. If I could cry through text, I would. If anyone asks me what my favorite movie is, it’ll always be The Man From U.N.C.L.E. hands-down. I want the second MOVIE! Hollywood and Guy Ritchie, I’m begging you.

Anyways, these are my 5 favorite movies that y’all definitely didn’t watch but I hope I inspired you to do it. Watch Jem and the Holograms first so you can experience the wigs!

Alejandra Balbuena is a first-generation UNT senior majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Spanish and Social Sciences. She loves reading, dancing, and watching Law and Order: SVU reruns. She is one of the campus correspondents for the Her Campus UNT chapter. She also serves as co-president and co-editor in chief!
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.