5 Coming of Age Movies for Your Younger Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As a 20-year-old junior in college, oftentimes life has a way of making me feel older than I really am. Here are five coming of age movies that will make you laugh, cry, and remember the intricate, complex, and evocative significance of what it means to grow up.

1. Say Anything… (1989)

Starring a young John Cusack and Ion Skye, Say Anything… is an American romantic comedy-drama written and directed by Cameron Crowe. The film follows two recent high school graduates as they fall in love and hilariously captures the complicated, awkward, and sometimes painful feelings that are often involved with first love.

2. Submarine (2010)

Adapted from the 2008 novel by Joe Dunthorne, Submarine is a British-American comedy-drama written and directed by Richard Ayoade. The film is a perfect mix of quirky, fresh, and lovable, featuring 15-year-old Oliver Tate and his infatuation with his classmate Jordana, and the adolescent truths behind growing up.

3. Whip It (2009)

Written by Shauna Cross and directed by Drew Barrymore, who stars in the film alongside Ellen Page, Whip It is an American sports comedy-drama. Ellen Page plays a teenage misfit stuck in a small town who discovers a roller derby league as she navigates life, love, and becoming her own hero.

4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

Based on the epistolary novel by American writer, Steven Chbosky, who directed the film, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is an American coming-of-age drama starring Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller. The film tackles serious subject matter, including depression, suicide, drug use, and sexuality.

5. Heathers (1988)

Written by Daniel Waters and directed by Michael Lehmann, Heathers is an American black comedy starring a young Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. Heathers is a cult film and satire of the teen genre that follows Veronica, a high school student who teams up with a sadistic sociopath as they plot to kill the popular kids.​

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.