4 Tips on How to Balance Your Social Life and Your Obligations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Do you struggle with balancing your time between your friends, family, boyfriend, school or work?

Do you want to know how you can balance your time amongst your obligations and loved ones?

Well, it’s not as hard as you think. The key to a well-rounded life is to always make sure that you’re not only making time for your loved ones and work but also yourself. It’s also learning the word “no” and that it’s okay to say it. The moment you realize that you can’t do everything and spend time with everyone equally, you will start to feel less overwhelmed and more chill. If you want to learn a couple of ways to start having more balance in your life, read the tips below.

4 Tips On How To Balance

1. Never double-book yourself – If you’ve already made plans to do your work, hang with your friends or go watch a movie with your family on a particular day, don’t set anything else up close to that time or the same day. It’s hard to jump from one activity to another without feeling rushed, tired, or even mad at yourself for booking your activities too close to each other. Use that set plan to dedicate that time for that specific person, or thing.
  2. Be honest – If you feel like you’re overwhelmed, let them know. If you feel like you’re always running out of time. Maybe, it’s time for you to take a rest and recharge. Let your friends, family, or boyfriend know what’s going on. I bet they will do their best to work with you or give you some time.
  3. It’s okay to say NO – Don’t start saying no to everything but if you know you can’t go or you can’t do it then don’t. Don’t let people force you to do something or feel like you have to because you don’t. If you have something you have to do instead of that, then let them know. They will understand!
  4. Invest in a planner or calendar (both would be great)-  It’s always good to be one step ahead of the game. If you have activities, assignments, parties, or date nights, write them down. Make sure that you know what you’re doing ahead of time, so if you already made plans that day or you have major assignment to do, you won’t set up another thing to do that same day. It helps. A LOT.

If you have any other tips you would like to leave about how you personally balance your obligations with your social life, let us know in the comment section!

Hello, My name is Tasha Battle. I'm 21 years old and currently attend University of North Texas. I'm majoring in Accounting but writing has my heart. I've always been an avid reader and I currently host my own website, where I talk about dating, religion, college and so much more. I'm proud to be apart of Her Campus and I'm grateful to be in an organization that empowers and uplifts women.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.