4 Movies With Black Leads I’m Very Excited To See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Although Black History Month has come to a close, the black excellence has not stopped. I have seen so many trailers for movies that are coming out this year with black actors and actresses as the lead roles. Sure, it happens more often than it used to, but seeing myself being represented on a big screen will always feel empowering! Here are four movies I’m heavily anticipating:

1. Little Little is a film about a ruthless woman who gets the chance to relive her childhood when she wakes up and she’s a child again. Think 13 Going on 30 but reversed. The film stars Girls Trip actress Regina Hall, Issa Rae and Marsai Martin! Marsai Martin, 14, is an executive producer for this film and is the youngest person to hold that title! Little comes to theaters April 12th!

2. Us: I’m usually not a fan of scary movies because they aren’t really scary for me, but Jordan Peele is a genius at what he does! I’m the most excited for this film. A family wants to have a good time on their vacation, but everything goes south when they a group of doppelgangers crash the party. Peele always aims to make people think with his psychological thrillers. Black Panther stars Winston Duke and Lupita Nyong’o star as the leads for this film! It is set to hit theaters March 22nd!

3. The Intruder: Another psychological thriller has made it to the list! A young married couple by a house in Napa Valley but soon realize that the man they bought it from refuses to let the property go. The plot is different, but it reminds me of the 2018 film Breaking In. Michael Ealy and Meagan Good star in this thriller! Watch it with your best friend on May 3rd!

4. Shaft: In this action movie, MIT graduate John Shaft Jr. enlists his family, including his son, to help him figure out the truth behind his best friend’s untimely death. The trailer made it seem like he was a black James Bond! Oscar nominated actor Samuel L. Jackson is the lead for the movie, and that alone should make you want to go see the film! Shaft in is theaters June 14th!

I'm a junior at the University of North Texas. My interests range from reading to astrology to bullet journaling. When I'm not at school or at work, I'm trying new foods or online shopping!