4 Haunted Attractions to Visit in DFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Picture by Alex Klopcic

It’s that time of year again! If you’re anything like me, once September 1st hits, it’s all about scary movies, hot chocolate, warm blankets, and most importantly: haunted houses! Although it’s not quite October yet, a lot of haunted houses are opening their doors for our enjoyment starting this week. To get you in the Halloween spirit I’ve compiled a list of the 4 top Haunted Houses to visit this season in DFW.  Cutting Edge in Fort Worth. This infamous haunted house has set two world records for the largest haunted house in the world and has even ranked as one of the most terrifying. This haunted house is not for the faint of heart, as there are many special effects that will shock you at every turn. I won’t spoil it for you, but just keep one thing in mind: chainsaws. That is all. The first show is September 15th and general admission is $30. Group rates are available online for a cheaper admission price. 

Dark Hour in Plano. Perhaps one of the more unique haunted attractions, the Dark Hour Haunted House has more costume-based scares than other haunted houses. Admission prices range from $10-$70 (!) depending on bundle deals and which parts of the attraction you want to see. Dark Hour Haunted House also hold other haunted holiday attractions such as “Love is Blind” during February and “Wreck the Halls” during Christmas. So if you have the Halloween bug all year round, this may be the place for you! Shows start September 22nd.  Dark Path Haunt in Denton. If you’re looking for more of a surprising location other than a house, the Dark Path Haunt is the one for you. Conveniently located off of University Dr, this dark path haunt is a guided trail through the forest. Legend has it, this path has been home to murders, suicides, disappearances, and much more over the last 80 years. Doors open September 29th and admission is $20. 

Haunted Shadows Lake Trail in the Colony. A personal favorite, this is a 1 mile hike through a real forest with jumps and scares at every turn. Maybe it’s the fact you only get one flashlight per group (no matter how big) or that you actually have to crawl through basement-like structures and hear distant screams, but this trail will scare you (almost) to death. The experience is so shockingly terrifying that even the second time I went, I was just as scared. Admission is $23 and doors open September 29th. I know you’ll see me there. Tweet us your favorite haunted attractions that you’re looking forward to this season at @hercampusunt Wishing you all a very scary beginning to the season! HCXO <3

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.