Henna Hearts
Henna Hearts
Sanjana Iyer

12 Days in India: The Trip of a Lifetime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

India is a different world on its own. I had been to India around seven times before this trip, and it all happened so spontaneously, it is still hard to process after being back home for a week now. 

It all began in December, when someone very dear to me headed to India on the journey of a lifetime, with no set return date. He embarked to the Isha Yoga Center in Coimbatore to enjoy the ashram for a few months of intense sadhana (practices, in this case, yogic) and volunteering before beginning a silence program with thousands from around the world. Him and I conspired to celebrate Mahashivratri, the night Shiva performs his dance, in India at the ashram with over a million attendees. 

After begging my parents, I realized that my mom’s cousin’s wedding fell a couple of days before Mahashivratri. The way things aligned made it clear that this was meant to happen. We would have wedding events for a few days, leave early to the ashram for two days for Mahashivratri and to see friends, and then endlessly road-trip.

Just my mom and I traveling there was chill to say the least, without countless people bundled up in masks in corona fear. The second we got to Chennai, we were surrounded by so many family members, and I was filled with endless warmth. We rarely see my family, and I was meeting some of them for the first time! Everyone was from somewhere different…the Iyer family is very diverse. We have: Aussies, Brits, us Americans, Indians, Singaporeans, etc. The accents mashing together was an adventure… I was speaking in a mix of them in no time and my Tamil improved within such a short trip. 

This was my first actual Indian wedding, as the last one I went to is when I was a year old and obviously cannot recall. I got to reconnect with most of my mom’s side of the family and forge close relationships within minutes of meeting them again. I always forget that that’s the case with family, and no matter the time period and distance, nothing changes as we have bonds that can never be broken. 

The wedding itself was beautiful, engorged in color and flowers, with everyone decked out in gold and various sarees, lehengas, and kurtas. 

Sudha and Rohit among the sparklers
Sanjana Iyer
Mehndi night was so fun, with all of us indulging in the intricate, herbal-infused designs, music, dancing, and intimate contests involving eating mango ice cream with soup. Don’t ask. My cousin, Pranav, taught me how to ride a motorcycle fairly well, until I almost drove us into a building. We spent every waking second together trying to get through the demanding days and multiple clothing changes from the engagement, to reception, and then the actual wedding ceremonies. I became very well-versed in eating off banana leaves again. I learned about the cultural ties within South Indian weddings in depth this trip, and came to see how close-knit my mom’s cousin gang really is, getting to join in a bit. The family antics are something I will treasure for life, especially because I did not sleep a wink after we left America.
Henna Hearts
Sanjana Iyer

We flew to Coimbatore to the ashram after all the wedding shenanigans to finally experience Mahashivratri, a full 12 hours of no sleeping, as we all stay up and dance, meditate, and eat with millions of other attendees, world-famous musicians, and Sadhguru. Considering I was on a streak of not sleeping anyway, what was one more night? The hashtag, #Don’tYawnTillDawn, was trending worldwide as the crazy night went on. I danced the majority of the time, kicking dust up into the skies lined by mountains and stars questioning our consciousness, making friends in the process. The splendid musical performances kept us up, uniting people of all cultural/religious backgrounds and countries in the quest to become one with Shiva (Adiyogi) and Sadhguru. Anytime we felt sleepy, we were awoken by jiving sounds and tons of food to select from. Getting to experience this night in person and not through a livestream for the first time was something I do not take lightly, and am so thankful for. Friends became family, and we all became one on this night of Shiva. 

Right after everything at the ashram and spending time with loved ones, we road-tripped to Kerala to see my grandma at my ancestral home there, which I greatly cherish and have spent a lot of time there as a child. Anytime we got in the car, we would stop at various temples and spiritual sites on the way. We headed to a close friend’s temple the next day, with me experiencing Devi in person for the first time and getting fully involved in the village and its people. I am happy anywhere, and felt connected to everyone despite my rather American-take on the language. I grew so close to many different friends of my mom this trip, with all of them having always wanted a daughter, considering me one henceforth and me gladly accepting them as parental figures. Becoming close to Appuvarma, a renowned sage and part of our family, and his wife, Gayathri, was a highlight of the trip. Exploring various sites with his knowledge and spiritual connection, it was an encounter I will always cherish. We headed back to Chennai the next day, with insightful debates and the first ounce of sleep commencing on the 10-hour drive, seeing many renowned temples on the way. 

Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram
Sanjana Iyer
This was a short burst of so much spontaneity, love, adventure, and spirituality, making for a trip I will never forget. If I had to pen down everything, I would have a novel on my hands, as I have already turned this article into a narrative. All I can say is, India is so much more than I thought it was and I have only scratched the surface of what’s yet to come.

Hi, I'm Sanjana Iyer! I am a proud 20-year-old Indian-American, born and raised near Boston and moved to Austin, TX before high school. I graduated from Lake Travis HS in 2018 and am aiming to graduate a year in advance from UNT in 2021 with a Digital/Print Journalism degree and a double-minor in Criminal Justice and History. Traveling, singing, adventuring, nature, sports, and music are some of my greatest passions. I enjoy Kpop and Anime as well. I am a huge advocate for animal, environmental, minority, and women's rights. I am also an Isha Meditator, along with being one of the main vocalists for Sounds of Isha (Austin Branch). I tend to live by the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" and highly believe in a carefree, free-spirited yet spiritual, aware lifestyle. ~ Aspire to Inspire