10 Minus 1 Ways to Fill Your Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re feeling this odd mixture of being so relieved to go home, home for winter break and dreading being away from the home and life you’ve built at your university. For some of you, it’s the first time you’re making the great transition back. Spoiler alert, it’s not all that fun! Yes, your freedoms will be limited. Yes, staying up at all hours of the night and drinking way too much coffee is only a “college thing.”

Luckily there are ways around the impending boredom. Other than the age old “get a job,” I’m sure you’ve heard far too many times, here’s a list of 10 minus 1 ways to fill your Winter Break:

1. Pick up a book

It sounds cliché, right? DO IT!! Pick up that series you’ve always wanted to read and go to town on those books! Enrich your mind and understanding on different topics. Your brain will thank you when you start back to school again. Having this quiet time to yourself will allow you reflect and recharge. It also looks better when you lock yourself away to read as opposed to binge-watching Netflix.

2. Craft

For the talented and not, I assure you picking up a paint brush or hammer every now and then is better for you than letting the creative side of you go to waste. Don’t be overwhelmed by the perfect creations you see on Pinterest, just create art for yourself. You’ll have fun doing, maybe learn something about yourself and in the process, destress.

3. Reconnect with nature

Newsflash, I’m a hippy. And I strongly suggest you be one for the 10 minutes you should spend outside every day. Take off your shoes and feel the grass below you, breathe in the air and feel the sun’s rays warm your skin. Or, alternatively, freeze for 10 minutes as you watch the sun set from the hood of your car. The peace one receives from being with nature is unlike any other remedy.

4. Volunteer

There are so many ways to get involved with charitable organizations during the holidays. Research local food banks, Salvation Armies and nursing homes that need volunteers. Most organizations would rather have your time than money during this busy season. The holidays can be tough for those who are less fortunate than us and those who may not have much family left. Use your energy and good will for the betterment of others.

5. Get back into your faith

What better time than the holidays to dive back into your faith? Pick up your holy book and read the wisdom that has been passed down for generations. If you feel comfortable, think about attending your religious services more often. It’s easier to grow spiritually within a community than by yourself. Bonus points if you look into another faith!

6. Catch up with old friends

Even if you weren’t able to stay in constant contact with some of your friends from back home, give them a call! Chances are they had just as busy of a semester and still want to maintain your relationship. Go to lunch with a few and share your first semester experiences. Talk about how odd you feel to be back home and how odder it feels that it’s only temporary. Maybe they’ll have insight or maybe you’ll spend the whole afternoon laughing about old times. You’ll never know unless you reach out.

7. Rediscover your hometown

Sure you may have lived there all of your life, but did you know it had a Telephone Museum? That’s what I discovered when I came back to my hometown during my first Winter Break. Take different ways to get to the grocery store, go to restaurants you never went to before and make conversations with those you’d usually not. It’s not a whole in the middle of the Earth for most of the people living there, find out why! I’m sure you’ll gain a new appreciation for your hometown by the time you go back to college.

8. Spend quality time with your family

Perhaps this is the most important one of them all! Sure your family is loud, embarrassing and more dysfunctional than words could ever describe. Heads up so is everyone else’s! Spend time with your parents, they have missed you so much! And if you have siblings, go spend some one-on-one time with them. It’s probably been hard for them to adjust to living without your constant presence. They may never admit it, but they love you A LOT! Also, don’t forget any extended family that may be in the area and give your grandparents a call at least once a week!

9. Make a habit of working out

Far be it from me to tell you to work out, but I will suggest making a habit of getting into and staying in great shape. Also, working out more will probably be on your New Year’s Resolutions, so just a jump start on it already! With all this extra time, you can create a habit and schedule that will be easily transferrable to your schedule back in college.

DON’T

1. Lock yourself away in your room and binge watch Netflix

I feel like this one is self-explanatory. Just don’t do it! Not only are you cutting your family off from you, but you’re cutting yourself off from the world. By locking yourself away in your room, you’re missing out on the sun sets, the random ice cream runs, and holiday cheer. Don’t be that person this Winter Break, please.

Kait is a second-year Journalism student in the Mayborn School of Journalism at the University of North Texas. Her passions include taking spontaneous road trips, binge watching and reading the news, joining protests and petting kitty cats. She aspires to first survive her undergraduate years before taking on the world. Then possibly attend law school, join the Peace Corps and help secure rights for women in refugee camps.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.