emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Start Christmas Shopping in October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Someone told me that I was crazy for starting my Christmas shopping so early, but it’s only logical to start before most people do! If I find an item that I know one of my family or friends would love for Christmas, why would I not get it (or make it) ahead of time instead of waiting until December, standing in long lines, or risking not being able to get it?

When I come across an item online or in a store that would be a perfect gift for someone, even if it’s only October, chances are I will buy it, wrap it and have it ready for them to open for Christmas. Does this make me crazy? Maybe to some people, but I’ve accepted it. I’m just a couple steps ahead.

I honestly just love Christmas, so I’m going to start preparing as early as I can. Don’t get me wrong, I love Halloween and Thanksgiving and they definitely shouldn’t be overlooked, but Christmas is magical. There’s something about watching someone open the gift that you picked out specifically for them because you knew they would love it that makes me so happy. If getting the perfect gifts means starting in October, I’m going to do it!

Liz is a current student at UNL, majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Education.