Where You Should Be Shopping: Home & Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

If you’re like me, it’s easy to get tired of shopping at the typical, cookie-cutter places: H&M, Forever 21, Express, etc. While there is nothing wrong with these trendy fast fashion stores, your chances of finding a piece of clothing that nobody else has is pretty close to zero. If you want to change that, head on over to Home & Closet at the corner of 33rd & B – you can’t miss it if you look for the old blue VW van outside.

Home & Closet has things for, well, your home and your closet. But everything is vintage! I used to shy away from “vintage” stores because the ones I had previously been to were super expensive. Home & Closet is different in that many of their items are bargain priced, so it’s kind of like an upscale, trendy, hipster Goodwill. They are home to the famous $2 Tuesdays, where entire racks are filled with clothes all priced at $2, less than your morning latte. If you’re shopping for your apartment or maybe even a home, they have an incredible selection of mid-century furniture, including couches, tables, lamps, dressers – you name it. You’ll also find a great selection of pre-potted plants and records.

I never had much luck at Home & Closet until I figured out how to shop there Here are some tips:

1. Go in the morning, especially if you are going on a Tuesday. Things get picked over pretty quickly, and their stock is (obviously) constantly changing.

2. Go regularly. You never find a great thrift find the first time you go. It’s all about getting lucky. I aim to go every couple weeks or when I’m looking for something fresh in my closet.

3. Follow them on Snapchat (@homeandcloset). They post almost daily stories of some great items they have so if you see something you love you can head on over.

Oh and the best part about H&C? Students save 20% every Saturday! Have fun thrifting this summer!

Photos via Home & Closet Instagram

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter. 
Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter