Ways to Beat the Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

The semester is almost half complete and the weather is cooling down (at least currently). I’ve found myself getting into some sort of pre-winter slump. I’ve realized that I’ve gotten too caught up in the daily events of life during school. Work, class, work, homework, sleep, repeat.

I know I’m not the only one though. This affects so many students and it starts to take a toll on our bodies, mindsets and that in turn affects grades, performance and relationships. It’s healthy to take a step back everyone once and while and work on yourself so that you can keep putting your best self into every aspect of life. Here are some of the ways I’ve found help me re-organize and clear my head.

1. Cleaning isn’t just for Spring.

You might’ve heard about spring cleaning, but what about fall cleaning? This is the perfect time before we settle in for winter break and our schedules are filled with being with friends and family for the holidays. Take some time to re-organize your backpack, planner and work space. Try to go through your closet and switch out your summer wardrobe for your fall/winter one. Maybe it’s time to let go of some pieces, maybe it’s time to get rid of some clutter that’s holding you back. Clearing your space is a great first step in clearing your head.

1. Actually wake up on time.

Remember at the beginning of the semester when you were so diligent about waking up right at first sound of your alarm. There’s nothing that makes you feel more accomplished in the day than giving yourself enough time to put effort into your mornings. Making your bed is one of the best ways to get a start on your day. If you accomplish one small task in the morning, that sets you up to continuously accomplish other things on your to-do list.

1. Invest in a spa day.

Sure you shower everyday, but I like to think I need a “deep” cleaning every once in awhile – just like my bedroom. That’s a weird way to put it, but I hope you understand what I mean. When I get a mani-pedi, there’s no better feeling of nails that are freshly filed, painted and pushed back cuticles. I love facials that feel like they really clean out my pores too. Just think of all of that makeup and dirt that builds up in your pores – gross!

In addition to all of these things, there are many more ways to help shake that mid-semester slump. Find a routine that works for you!

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter