Valentines Day Sweets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Everyone’s favorite part about any holiday are the delicious treats. Between the tasty pastries to the sugary candy, there is always something to satisfy our sweet tooths! Whether you are planning to enjoy this day with a significant other, family member, friends, or children, there are many fun creative ways to fill your tummy!

Sweetheart Cupcakes

This recipe uses a basic chocolate cake recipe and is filled with a delicious Maraschino Cherry frosting. A heart-shaped cookie cutter was used on the top of the cake to create a heart then, add your frosting in the space and let the frosting set. The chocolate-cherry combo is a classic Valentine’s Day flavor combination.

Chocolate covered Rice Krispy Hearts

Spread your already made Rice Krispies flat on a pan. Once they have cooled, take a heart-shaped cookie cutter and cut out as many hearts as needed. Add a stick at the bottom of the heart and dip into warm melted chocolate. Add pink and red sprinkles to your chocolate covered Rice Krispy Hearts before the chocolate hardens to give your treats that Valentine’s Day feel.

Sugar Cookies and Kreme

Make heart shaped sugar cookies, using red food coloring to make them pink. After your cookies are cool make a heart sandwich by filling the center with crème. Outline the center crème with strawberry slices or raspberries. 

Heart Filled Pancakes

You simply make up regular pancake batter, split it in half and add some food coloring to one half, then make your pancakes, use a cookie cutter to remove a heart from the center and switch them over. Simple, yet it looks very impressive!

Sweet Chocolate Cherry Bombs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl until combined. Using a hand held mixer, beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 29-35 minutes. Cool cake completely. Crumble cooled cake into a large mixing bowl. Add frosting and mix until well combined. Scoop mixture out by the tablespoonful or small ice cream scoop. Roll each scoop into a ball. Press one cherry into the center of each cake ball. Bring the cake mixture up and around the cherry. Roll in between your two hands to form a nice ball. Dip cake covered cherries in chocolate.  Set on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate if using tempered semi-sweet chocolate until set, about 10 minutes. If using dark candy melts, place your cherry bombs in the freezer to set for about 5 minutes.

Photo: 1