This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Studying is difficult and not fun, but it’s necessary. With finals coming up, it’s important to employ your best strategies. These three tips may not be want you want to hear, but they’re what you need to hear.

Turn off the T.V

Even if it is just “background noise,” having the T.V on while you’re studying distracts you and makes informations less likely to stick. It is difficult to not give in to the temptation, but it’s better for you in the long run.

Sit at a desk or table, not on the couch

This goes along with the first tip. Being in a comfortable, relaxed position distracts you. If you want productive studying, you need to be in a productive location and position.

Don’t listen to music with lyrics

Lyrics take away your focus, especially if you are doing studying that involves reading. Instead, listen to classical or epic music. Video game music is also a great option because it doesn’t have lyrics, and it’s designed to keep you focused.

Happy studying and good luck on your finals!

Halie is a junior double majoring in Political Science and Economics. She likes to spend her time watching Netflix documentaries, following politics, and hanging out with her cat Luna. This is her third year writing for UNL Her Campus and her second year as the Campus Correspondent for the chapter.