Team Jack Aims To Raise Pediatric Brain Cancer Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Here in Husker Nation, we all bleed red, get loud in Memorial Stadium, and follow the life of a little boy named Jack Hoffman. In 2011, Husker football player Rex Burkhead met Jack for the first time, after the then 6-year-old was diagnosed with a rare pediatric brain cancer and wanted to meet his hero. Burkhead took Jack under his wing, and before too long, all of Nebraska was rallying behind Team Jack.

At the 2013 Spring Game, the Huskers even let Jack suit up, and he went on to score a touchdown. This act was featured on sports news around the country, touching the hearts of millions and bringing awareness to so many more. However, more can still be done to address the issue of pediatric brain cancer.

This Thursday, September 26, is Jack Hoffman’s 8th birthday. It is now also National Pediatric Brain Cancer Awareness Day, in the effort to promote early diagnosis and awareness of childhood cancer. Up to 46 kids are diagnosed with cancer each day, and the number only continues to grow. By donating or spreading the word, more efforts can be made to fight against the disease. What started as little Jack Hoffman meeting his hero can turn into a nation wide awareness and ultimately, a cure.