This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin, spoke at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln February 18, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. in the Nebraska Union Centennial Room. The event was free and oppen to the public but seats where able to be reserved. The event even sold out. I went to this event with one of my friends and it was very eye opening. Fulton started off by saying that she was very average and she did not sign up to go around and speak about personal responsibility and social change. She did not sign up to attend the funeral of her son who was killed at the age of 17 in 2012. Yesterday was the third year anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death. During  Fulton’s speech she said, “I was under the impression that we had come much further than we have in the United States.” She was referring to the racial violence that led to the death of her son. I really enjoyed hearing Fulton speak about race in the United States. She said, “I can take off my shirt, pants and boots but I cannot take off the color of my skin.” I am glad that many people attended the event because hearing her speak was very inspirational. Fulton urged the audiencefind a non-profit organization that had similar passions as them and start volunteering. Fulton’s quote that resonated with me the most was, “We have to respect people for who they are. Once we do that we will be a better society.”

I am a sophomore journalism major and Spanish minor.