Six Traditions to Start This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

The holidays are all about spending quality time with the people you hold near to your heart. There are many traditions we practice during the holidays with our families. Such as, baking cookies, decorating the tree, watching movies, playing games and so on.

Being in college, you meet many more people to add to that list of people you love. You may start your own traditions with these new people in your life as you move forward into your future with them.

I’ve taken the liberty of compiling a list of ideas to fill the extra time during holiday break for you to fill with new friends (and old friends).

1. Crafting

What better way to spend some alone time drinking some hot cocoa and getting glitter in places you didn’t think glitter could reach, than to spend it making personalized holiday decor?

2. Holiday Movie Marathon

Hello. ABC’s 25 Days of Christmas is the best part of the holidays. You know it’s true.

3. Baking

The best excuse to make your home extra toasty. We all need that extra warmth during the cold months. Baking is my favorite thing to do during the holidays, it’s perfect on days where you’re undeniably snowed in (or not). Cookies, creme bruleé, bread, muffins, you name it.

4. Christmas Shopping

I know during the holidays I’m always in desperate need of a second opinion on gifts for others. This is the perfect excuse to knock out all of your holiday shopping while spending some quality time together.

5. Sledding

I’m not going to lie, I’m not all for this one. I can maybe last a good, strong 10 minutes out in the snow. I’m a whimp when it comes to cold weather, which is why I highly recommend baking over this one. It turns out a lot of people actually like snow and sledding!

Anyway, it’s a good opportunity to scout prime sledding places together and then fall, roll, crash into the cold, unforgiving snow… If that’s what you’re into.

6. Holiday Light Drive

Hop in the (warmed) car and start driving! You may want to ask around for the best decorated places if you’re new to the area. This is definitely one to get you into the spirit and see some serious decorating talent in local neighborhoods.

Remember, this time of year is all about appreciating what you have and taking time to spend it with the people you love! New traditions are always a good idea, but don’t forget about the old ones as well.

Happy Holidays!

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter