Relax, Girl: Four Easy Ways to Wind Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

At this point in the semester, most of us are running around like chickens with our heads chopped off and barely have anytime to breathe. Sleep is basicially just a fantasy at this point, and we are all looking forward to a day where we can unwind from our hectic lives and relax for maybe a minute or two. Lucky for you, I’ve done the thinking for you. Surely, one of these four ways will give your brain a break.

1. This Sh*t Is Bananas

One of my favorite ways to relax is doing what we all did during our middle school years on Friday nights with Sleepover and Legally Blonde playing in the background – homemade face masks. From what I remember in middle school, homemade face masks turned into a pile of dirty bowls and disgusting mixtures that we were not about to put on our faces. This mask is quick and easy. And doesn’t look disgusting.  I have never been a banana fan – I don’t like the texture, the taste, or the fact that I feel like a primate when eating one. But surprisingly, I do like them when they are on my face. Turns out bananas have anti-aging powers. Who knew? Plus, the recipe is super easy and you probably already have all the ingredients.

2. Color Up

Adult coloring books have become quite the new trend recently, and for good reason. Not only is coloring fun, it is scientificially proven to relax the brain while training the brain to focus at the same time. AKA, what many of us college students are in dire need of. Stop by Barnes and Noble and treat yourself to a new book, or download some off pinterest if you’re saving up for spring break (ahem, me). You’d be surprised how much you’ll enjoy being a kid again. 

3. Ohhhhmmmmmm

If you’ve never tried meditation, you’re probably wondering why the heck you should start now. Unlike the stereotypes, meditation doesn’t have to be religious or for a long amount of time. And meditation has become extremely easy with the help of our favorite things – Apps. While there are a plethora of meditation apps, my favorite is Stop, Breathe, and Think. You can check in before meditating to choose how your mind and body feel, along with your emotions. Then you can choose from a set of short sessions between 5-10 minutes long. This short time investment can truly have an awesome impact when it comes to managing your emotions, recognizing how your body feels, and being able to work through negative feelings. 

4. Get Lit

In the form of a candle, that is. You have a dirty mind. Honestly, it took me forever to invest in a candle. I thought they were too expensive and weren’t worth it. But seriously, so worth it. We have the power to make our living spaces smell exactly how we want them to – like a birthday cake, lavender, campfire, or a summer breeze. Plus, candles make great accessories. (Ahem, Anthro.)If you’re not about the candle life in fear of falling asleep and burning your apartment down, no worries. Room sprays work their magic just as great.

Bonus idea: light a candle while you meditate. Instant happiness.

So there you have it – four easy ways to settle down for a few minutes. They don’t take a lot of work, and I can promise you’ll feel so much better afterwards. You need this! Breathe in, out, and have a great rest of your day, collegiettes. 

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter.