Reasons to Shop Second-Hand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

As a college student, or just a person in general, I’m sure many of you can relate to the statement: money is tight. Thrifting has saved me so much money, and given me some one-of-a-kind pieces in my wardrobe that I absolutely love. Here are some reasons I love thrift shopping, and why you might want to consider thrifting instead of buying all your clothes brand new!

1. I’ve found some great clothes for cheap!

I’m always looking to save money, so thrifting is really a no-brainer to me. It’s also really exciting when I find an item brand new with tags at a thrift store for a fraction of the original price!

2. It’s good for the environment

Buying secondhand goods keeps those items out of the landfill. Also, when you buy secondhand, you are cutting out the emissions that would normally come from the production of the brand new clothes that you purchase.

3. It’s fun!

Thrift shopping is one of my favorite things to do, and I enjoy it so much more than regular shopping! It’s like a treasure hunt; don’t be discouraged if you can’t find anything at first. Thrifting takes time, but that’s part of the fun!

4. Most thrift stores have a good cause

When you buy from a thrift store, like Goodwill for example, your money is going towards the betterment of your community. Goodwill provides job training, employment, and other services to citizens who may be unable to work otherwise. You can also check out the Salvation Army and the Habitat for Humanity ReStore

5. There’s so much more than clothes!

Almost every time I go to the thrift store, I find a cool decoration for my room, a book, or some other random item that I don’t need (but hey, it was 99 cents).

Liz is a current student at UNL, majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Education.