President of Montage, Hillary Stickman, Speaks Out About Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Hillary Stickman, recently inducted president of Montage, shared some insights with me about herself and some of her goals she hopes to achieve.

Her passions include traveling (she’s been to 13 countries), learning languages, which includes French, Spanish and German, and of course, she loves fashion. According to her, “Fashion is a way of expressing yourself. Most people don’t realize the significance of what they are wearing, but I know that every single detail makes a statement about that person.” Because of her primary interests, she gladly applied to become president of Montage.

At UNL, Montage is a student run fashion club sponsored by the Textiles, Merchandising, Fashion and Design (TMFD) department. When asked why she decided to apply for the presidency position, she told me, “I wanted this position largely because I want to become more involved with the TMFD Department, but more importantly I have a vision of how I want the organization to prosper. I desire to raise awareness among students and I also want to start publishing a mini-magazine called This Season, which focuses on the latest trends and available products at local shops here in Lincoln, NE.”

However, besides the mini magazine development, Montage gets involved on campus and throughout the community by hosting it’s annual Clothing Swap Event every spring. Hillary confirms this information by saying, “During the clothing swap people have all week to bring in old clothes and exchange each item for a ticket. At the end of the week, on Friday, people bring their tickets to our Clothing Swap Event and are able to shop for ‘new’ gently used items. At the end of the day, all clothing that is leftover gets to be donated. I really enjoy this event because I always have the privilege of seeing both students and the community benefit from this event.”

I am from Murray, Nebraska. I am a Fashion Journalism Major and Spanish Minor.