andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Poland Travel Guide: Tatra Mountains

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

This summer, I had the amazing opportunity of studying abroad in Krakow, Poland. Studying abroad is an amazing experience that I think all college students should get. I never expected to go to Poland in college, but now the country holds a special place in my heart.

I was able to travel to several cities outside of Krakow. The trip to Zakopane and the hike to Lake Morskie Oko in the Tatra Mountains was one of my favorite parts of my study abroad trip in Poland. We had heard a lot about Polish history and culture in our first week, but we hadn’t had the opportunity to experience the Polish environment and the natural beauty of the country. And the mountains proved to be absolutely gorgeous, and it was a fun break from city life. 

The trail is nine miles there and nine miles back. At first, I was alarmed at the length, but the trail is actually paved and really easy. There is even a cafe along the way. The Morskie Oko trail leads to Lake Morskie Oko, which is the largest lake in the Polish Tatra Mountains. The beauty of the lake is breathtaking, and the mountain landscape the whole hike provides some of the most amazing views I have ever experienced. In May, the crisp air is so refreshing, and the combination of spring green and snow-capped mountains provides diverse scenery. We packed a small lunch, including bread, jam, and wine and had a picnic by the lake. After long classes and tours, the hike to Morskie Oko was refreshing. 

For those interested in taking a trip to Poland, I definitely recommend a trip to the Tatra Mountains. I recommend arriving at the bus stop early or even purchase tickets in advance. Visitors should definitely bring cash because a lot of transportation and places in the park do not take card. The view and experiencing mountains and Morskie Oko was well worth the transportation, planning, and 9-mile walk it took to get there.

Halie is a junior double majoring in Political Science and Economics. She likes to spend her time watching Netflix documentaries, following politics, and hanging out with her cat Luna. This is her third year writing for UNL Her Campus and her second year as the Campus Correspondent for the chapter.