Molly Drug Not As Safe As It Seems

Molly is the street name for the powder form of the drug MDMA. Its pill form is known as ecstasy. It has been branded as a party drug which is why it’s featured in many song lyrics.

In 2013, the Molly craze began with rapper Trinidad James’ song “All Gold Everything:, with the catchy lyrics, “Popped a Molly, I’m sweating woo!” After that other various artists came out with songs including the word Molly including Tyga, Miley Cyrus, Childish Gambino, Gucci Mane, Nicki Minaj, and many others. Miley Cyrus caused a lot of controversy when some fans interpreted her lyrics from her hit song, "We Can't Stop," as, "We like to party, dancing with Molly," as opposed to, "dancing with Miley."

Many users believe that Molly is pure, but it is actually a mixture of a few white powders such as bath salts and methamphetamine. Many of the chemicals used to make Molly come from laboratories in China. These synthetic drugs are sold all around the world and placed in many different drugs. The blend of powders is what makes Molly so dangerous. The DEA has even concurred that using Molly is like playing Russian Roulette. It has been marketed to many teenagers and young adults who listen to electronic dance and rave music.

The side of effects of using Molly include high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, sweating, irregular body temperature, and blood vessel constriction. People using Molly have also experienced seizures, psychosis, panic attacks, and even death. It’s most common effect is euphoria which is why it has become so popular. Euphoria is a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness. Once the feeling of euphoria wears off, users may show signs of depression.

Being in college, the use of illegal drugs, especially Molly can be very tempting among friends. But feeling happy for a while isn’t worth the multitude of terrible side effects that come with using the drug.