This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

This week, we’re learning all about Jenny Beth, our RSO advisor! She’s also a professor in the Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design department here at UNL. We talked Kate Spade, New York, her area of research and more! 

Her Campus: Are you currently doing any research? If so, what in and what’s your favorite part of it?

Jenny Beth: My area of research is on consumer socialization, which investigates how individuals learn to be consumers and how individuals learn about the products that they purchase.  Research on this subject has exposed me to many diverse areas, including the use of visual social media, such as Pinterest and Instagram, to gain ideas for products to purchase.

My favorite aspect of research is seeing a gap in existing literature and filling the gap with the research that I complete.  It is a lot of fun to contribute knowledge to the field. 

HC: If you could pick one brand to wear the rest of your life, which would you choose?

JB: If I could be the spokesperson for a brand, I would promote Kate Spade.  I enjoy all of the bright colors and whimsical prints that are fun, yet professional.  Kate Spade has made its way into all aspects of my life, including purses, apparel, shoes, jewelry, umbrellas, dinner plates, placemats, and oven mitts. 

HC: What’s your favorite thing about UNL?

JB: My favorite aspect of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is how it continues to quickly move forward to enhance the education of all students.  UNL devotes a lot of resources to helping students receive the best education possible.  It is exciting to see the positive direction that the university is taking toward the future.

HC: What was the biggest shopper’s regret experience that you had?

JB: I really do not think that I have one.  I tend to consider each purchase that I make by calculating value, looking up product information, etc.

HC: If you could give any advice to your undergraduate self, what would it be?

JB: Be adaptable.  Ever since I was little, I had a set plan of what and where I would be and what I would do when I grew up.  I feel as if I have always been five steps ahead of where I currently was my whole life.  However, life changes and each person must change with it.  I knew that I would be a professor 10 years ago, but I had no idea I would be in Nebraska.  It was a wonderful surprise in my life.

HC: What’s the best and worst thing about living in New York?

JB: There are so many wonderful things about living in New York City.  It was great to be exposed to different cultures and experiences.  There are world-class museums, events, and attractions.  The worst thing about living in New York City was not being able to drive to the grocery store and fill up the trunk of the car with groceries.  You could only buy what you could carry on the street or have the groceries delivered, which for the delivery cost, wasn’t considered to be an option for me.

HC: What’s your favorite part about teaching?

JB: I love working with students and strive to help each student achieve his or her goals.  It is a lot of fun to see students understand the course material and be able to apply such knowledge in their careers.  I also enjoy hearing from past students who now work in the field and gain their perspective on changes in the industry.

HC: What’s one movie you’d never get tired of watching?

JB: I don’t think that I have a favorite movie, but my favorite tv show that I never get tired of is The Big Bang Theory.  I enjoy that type of humor.

HC: Describe your perfect day.

JB: A perfect day for me would be any day in which I am traveling.  I love to travel and have a very, very long bucket list of places that I intend to go.  At the top of my list is Norway and Sweden, primarily to visit my family members.  It is exciting to be exposed to diverse cultures and visit areas unique to your own way of life.

HC: Your go-to magazine for inspiration?

JB: I read Elle and Vogue every month, but I find that I have adopted the “anything goes” trend.  Therefore, I wear what I am drawn to, instead of what is popular that season.

Photo is courtesy of UNL’s Office of Graduate Studies.

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter