Meet the Staff: Sylvia Jager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

This week, we chatted with Sylvia Jager. A future elementary or preschool teacher, you’ll never see her without a smile or her signature curly hair. 

Major?

My major is Elementary and Early Childhood Education. Year in school/Hometown? 

I am a freshman and I’m from the cute little city of Wayne, Nebraska. Dream career?

My dream career, ever since I was a little girl, has been to be an elementary or preschool teacher! Do you have a secret talent?

I have done tap and ballet lessons since I was 3 years old. Tap dancing is definitely my favorite, and sometimes, if I am bored or standing around, my feet just start tapping. What’s your favorite breakfast food and why?

Hands down, Captain Crunch cereal. Any kind really, but I’d have to say Crunchberries top the charts! I’m always in the mood for cereal, and there is just something about Captain Crunch that is better than all the rest! If you could meet anyone famous, who would it be?

TAYLOR SWIFT! She has always been an idol in my life who has a song written for every different occasion in my life. Plus, she has an amazing fashion sense and shares my love for cats. Favorite place in Lincoln?

I really love Honest Abe’s! I could eat their Aphrodite Burger every single day of the week, and I’m not even a huge burger person! Also, the theming of both of the locations in Lincoln is adorable and so much fun (especially if Abraham Lincoln is one of your favorite president like me!). ​

A quote you live by? 

One of my favorite quotes is from one of my all-time favorite movies: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off:  “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.” That quote is on my mirror in my bedroom at home and always reminds me to take a sec, breathe, and enjoy the present.

Best college experience so far?

I joined the marching band and was honestly skeptical and nervous at first, but one of my best college experiences was the first time that I was on the field in uniform for the pre-game show at the Husker game. It was incredible! What’s your advice to an incoming freshman?

Don’t be afraid to say ‘yes’ to things or to take that flyer that someone is trying to hand you! College is such a fun place to try all different sorts of activities. You might be surprised what you find and what you end up loving! What’s the number one thing on your bucket list?

I know it sounds slightly cliché, but I’d really like to travel to Hawaii and go to an authentic luau! I have always thought that the islander cultural is so beautiful and serene, and I’d love to experience it!

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter. 
Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter