Matthew Masin ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Name: Matthew Masin
Year: Junior
Hometown: Lincoln, NE
Major: News Editorial Journalism
Relationship Status: Single
Campus Involvement/Activities: Daily Nebraskan (Visuals Chief), Photojournalism program (Takes two international trips – India and Brazil)

This past summer, Sara, Olivia, and I had a somewhat unusual encounter with this Campus Cutie.  As a stranger, he asked us if he could follow us around while we shopped in Downtown Lincoln and film us for a class project, and we weren’t about to refuse (even though we looked absolutely terrible)!  Throughout the day, Matt probably got to know us pretty well…but we didn’t get the opportunity to learn much about him.  After sitting down and chatting with him, though, I learned quite a bit, and just HAD to share with all of you!  Keep your eyes peeled, ‘cause this is one interesting dude! :)  

HC: What are some of your hobbies and interests?
Matt: I really like music.  I can play all sorts of instruments, and I have been in bands before, but unfortunately they’ve all fizzled out.  I also really enjoy going on bike rides and just hanging out outdoors—playing frisbee, basketball, and sitting around a bonfire. 

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Matt: I‘d like to be living somewhere other than Nebraska—somewhere in either the Northwest, because it’s beautiful there, or the Southwest, like New Mexico.  I know that working for a newspaper or photo magazine is exactly what I want to do, so hopefully I’ll be doing that.

HC: I’m sure all the girls are wondering.  What do you look for in a girl?
Matt: Hmm…I like smart girls who can carry on a conversation and who understand current events and their importance.  I’d like someone who can keep up with outdoor activities and who has a good sense of humor.  If you can laugh, if you’re smart, and if you like to go outside…well, that’s good.  Having a good taste in music doesn’t hurt either.

HC: If you could change something about yourself, would you?  And what would it be?
Matt: I have really big feet, so it’s hard to find shoes.  I’m a size 14; that’s the only real woe in my life.

HC: Have you had any life-changing moments?  If so, what were they?
Matt: The first time that I went to India in 2011, I got to do a very cool thing where I went into this really small, conservative village where the women wore scarves on their heads and exposed only their eyes.  Me being a white dude, they always had their faces covered when I was around; but eventually they let their guards down and I got to see these women with their scarves off.   This showed me that if you treat people with enough respect and courtesy, you can easily get along with anyone.  It opened my eyes to the fact that race and gender have nothing to do with being able to cooperate with someone.

HC: Halloween is near!  Can we expect to see you dressing up?
Matt:  I’ve been trying to think about that lately.  One idea I’ve had is to dress up like one of the Park’N’Go meter readers, but that might make people hate me or get me in trouble.  There’s also this narrator in Moonrise Kingdom who has a beard, so I wouldn’t have to shave for that one. 

HC: Any favorite part about Fall?
Matt: I like watching the trees change, although that’s kind of lame.  Just the atmosphere of Halloween, the scary movies, how people get so excited for this part of the year, and the weather in Nebraska are all pretty awesome. 

HC: And of course I have to ask, what’s your favorite part of being a Husker?
Matt: I think the school has a lot of opportunities for all students.  If you get involved enough and find the right spot for you, and participate in activities that are out of your element, you can meet a lot of diverse people.  I’ve been able to go on these amazing international trips because of this University.

Okay, think fast!

Celeb crush: Blake Lively
Favorite movie: This Is England
Biggest turn off: A really annoying laugh
Three words to describe yourself: Beard, funny, musical
Superpower: Invincibility