Mack is Back: Check Out This Album ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Ever since “Thrift Shop”, Ben Haggerty, better known as Macklemore, has been a household name. He’s had a few big songs from his debut album with Ryan Lewis called “The Heist”, (“Thrift Shop” and “Can’t Hold Us” to name a couple), but his second studio album entitled “This Unruly Mess I’ve Made” sort of plateaued. I enjoyed the album, but “GEMINI” proved he was capable of so much better.

“GEMINI” is unique because he and Ryan Lewis parted ways. The two are still on great terms, but they are now working on music independent from each other. I can clearly hear the differences between the past two albums and “GEMINI”, and it seems like Ben has rediscovered his voice and purpose.

The first single that dropped, “Glorious”, has been my anthem for the past few months. Whenever that song comes on I can’t help but sing along at the top of my lungs, so I’m sorry if you’ve ever been near me when I hear it.

“Marmalade” is a feel-good song with a signature Lil Yachty piano tune. This is the type of song you that will cheer you up after having the worst day of your life, because it’s just that lighthearted and fun.

When I first heard “Ain’t Gonna Die Tonight”, I almost fell out of my seat because I was so excited and pumped. Seriously, after listening to this song I feel like I can run a marathon, finish all my homework and never skip class again. What. A. Bop.

“Excavate” finishes out the album, and wow, what a way to go. This is more of a slow-tempo song with deep lyrics that speak to my soul. Featured on the track is Saint Claire, whose voice brings a beautiful chorus that will never get old.

“GEMINI” in it’s entirety is nothing short of a masterpiece in my opinion. Even if you disagree with that statement, it’s hard to deny that it’s a great comeback album for Macklemore. I guess you could say that Mack is Back.

Liz is a current student at UNL, majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Education.