Junkstock is my Cardio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Taking on the role of a Junker is serious business. Ever since the Joanna Gaines Era began, every woman and even man has been influenced by adding vintage and junkyard pieces to their apartments and homes. Since we cannot all make it to Magnolia Farms (on my bucket list) going to Sycamore farms was the closest and best second option. A place for foodies, musicians, artisans, decorators, innovators, and flea market goers, Junkstock is the premier junkyard of the Midwest. It is a three-day magical place where all food, drink, music and junk are more than Instagram worthy.

In Nebraska, there is value placed on the hard work and the past of those who have been lucky enough to experience living in this flyover state. Walking and looking around at all the trinkets and pieces of large furniture, the 150+ vendors knew exactly how to transform vintage pieces to modern day showstoppers. Within 20 minutes of exploring, my eye landed on a 1970’s Levi Jean Jacket with a fur, quilted lining that no matter how much the price or size, it was going to be mine. I am now a proud owner of a large jacket and I do not regret my very special impulse buy.

The greatest aspect of the junk fair was not the barbeque pulled pork sandwich on a buttered bun or the slice of pizza two times the size of my head; it was the farm fashion. A mix between urban fall, Nebraska country and summer festival style, there was no doubt that this event provided a full range of true one-of-a-kind inspiration. I developed a deep love for how well peoples outfits complimented and almost predicted the type of item they would buy.

The overall atmosphere was contagious. The love being shared between friends, family, pets, food, and the newest flea market finds made the trip out to Waterloo worth it. This place is perfect for taking trendy photos, stimulating creativity, and testing bargaining skills. The most notable photo spot: the giant peace sign made out of painted tires. All those gypsy and hippie souls (including mine) left feeling very full. 

I was thriving in my element but big thank you to HGTV for introducing a way of life that has now become a hobby. This vintage festival is a way to give back to locals while finding some of the most unique home décor and vintage clothing that will forever be topics of great conversation. This April, you will find me along with thousands of others back at the festival.

Peace, love, Junkstock.