timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Jamie and Olivia- Hip Hop Instructors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Check out these two awesome gals, Jamie Nickeson and Olivia Rhoades, who get their feet moving during some hip hop routines!

HC: Year in school?

Jamie: Sophomore

Olivia: Senior

HC: Major?

J: Fashion Merchandising

O: Marketing with a minor in Merchandising

HC: Campus/community involvements?

J: Her Campus, the Newman Center

O: Her Campus UNL, American Marketing Association, Montage Club

HC: How did you get involved in teaching hip-hop?

J: After doing several hip hop routines at our old studio, the owner approached us and said that she’d love to start giving the girls the opportunity to take some hip hop classes and she thought we’d be good to do that…so it just went from there!

O: I teach hip-hop at Janice Freeburg Dance Studio, which I have attended for 16 years. The owner’s granddaughter took over this year and asked Jamie and I if we would like to teach hip hop classes, because we have performed hip-hop routines together in past recitals. 

HC: Do you have a strong/long background in dance?

J: I danced at a studio for 15 years, along with being a part of my high school’s dance team for two years (being captain for one of them).

O: I took dance at Janice Freeburg’s Dance Studio for 17 years. I was a student assistant there for 3-6 year olds throughout high school. I was also a member of Gross Catholic Varsity Competitive Dance Team for 2 years and was captain my senior year.

HC: Why hip-hop?

J: It’s been my favorite style of dance since I was old enough to understand it.  A lot of styles of dance are so precise and involve a lot of technique, but hip-hop allows you to be a little more free and to really get into it.  I just love it.

O: Our studio didn’t currently offer any hip-hop classes. I think that it is such a fun genre of dance and one of my favorites. I was thrilled when I was asked to teach routines at the studio for this year’s recital.

HC: What age group do you teach?

O: We teach 3 classes. One is 3-5th grade, one is 6-8th grade, and the third class is high school students.

HC: Where do you teach at?

J & O: Janice Freeburg’s Dance Studio in Plattsmouth, Nebraska.

HC: What is a typical day at dance class with Jamie and Olivia?

J: We usually only have an hour a month with the girls, so we try to get started ASAP and move as quickly as possible.  We taught about 1/3 of each of the dances for the first three classes.  We want the girls to have fun, but we’ve also been trying to get them used to criticism and really working hard.  If they’re not paying attention or putting effort into it, we’re not afraid to get vocal.  There’s usually a lot of laughing too, though.  It’s always a good time.

O: I think that our dance classes are a great combination of technique, choreography, and fun.

HC: What challenges has it brought?

J: It can definitely be frustrating when you know that the dancers have a lot of potential, but aren’t really living up to it.  We try to get the best out of each one, but sometimes it takes a lot.  It’s testing my patience, for sure.

O: It has definitely been a learning experience. Although it sometimes may be difficult to get through to the students, once they understand the choreography, skill or correction, it makes me feel so proud.

HC: What rewards does it bring?

J: Well, not only do I get to dance and do what I love, but I also get to share it with younger girls.  Watching them improve and have fun is rewarding in of itself.  Also, knowing that they really look up to you is a great feeling.

HC: Do you go to competitions/recitals?

J: We don’t do competitions as of right now, but the studio has a recital every summer.

O: These three classes will each perform their routine at our studio’s dance recital in June. 

HC: Has it taught you anything about yourself?

J: It’s taught me that I’m actually better with kids than I thought I was, and that I never want to stop dancing.

O: It has taught me patience. It can be challenging to transfer ideas and choreography from my head to these young girls’ heads, but they work really hard. It has also taught be to be a positive leader.

HC: Can you see yourself continuing on in teaching?

J: I’d really like to.

O: Absolutely! I love it.

HC: Do you guys collaborate on dance routines? How do you come up with them?

J: We usually try to find ideas and inspiration on YouTube (college dance teams, competitions, etc.) or gather ideas from previous dances we’ve done or seen.  Then we get together and try to put individual moves and stunts into a full routine, taking out and adding things all the time.

O: Jamie and I collaborate on the routines. We each bring ideas. We also turn to college and professional dancers’ videos for inspiration.

HC: Who’s your hip-hop idol?

J: I love Emily Sasson.  Look her up on YouTube…she’s a boss.

O: I would say Tabitha and Napolean, hip-hop choreographers on SYTYCD.

HC: What is your favorite dance move?

J: I like just about anything that involves almost breaking my back.  Sometimes I pop a little too hard & throw it out (no joke).

O: I was a gymnast for 12 years so I love all of the gymnastic elements that can be incorporated into hip hop routines.

HC: What kinds of outfits do your students wear for recitals?

J: The three groups will have pretty different looks.  Our youngest group is doing a Husker inspired dance, so they’re wearing Husker jerseys, black capris, snapbacks, and some black & glitter high-tops (seriously so cute).  The middle group’s inspiration is a mannequin, and they’ll be dressed in metallic leggings, a colored tutu, and a vest-like top.  The high school group’s song is “Gold Rush,” so they’re wearing metallic gold harem pants and a muscle tee with a dollar sign on the front of it.  That’s the plan so far, anyway.

O: Typically we order from costume companies. However, Jamie and I our looking at local retailers and online companies for unique costumes that are also budget friendly.

HC: What is the funniest thing that has happened during a hip-hop session with you?

J: During the class we had a few weeks ago, we showed the 3rd through 5th graders a booty-shaking move and they thought it was the funniest thing ever.  They laughed hysterically every time we’d do it.  It made me think about when I was so young & innocent… ;)

O: Umm.. nothing too crazy. One time Jamie was filling in for a student that couldn’t make it to class. In the middle of the dance she slipped and fell. That was pretty funny.

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

J: Passionate, stubborn, overachiever

O: Dedicated, Creative, Fun-loving