How to Wear Summery Dresses in the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

When the seasons change, your wardrobe needs to follow suit. Nebraska’s blustery winter weather can pose a challenge to collegiettes to dress warmly and look stylish. Look to dresses you’ve deemed season-specific and consider wearing them in the wintertime. With the right layers and accesories, you can wear any frock all year round. The key is to find new ways to wear pieces you already own. Before you pack away your favorite summer dresses, get creative with your styling to get more wear of items already in your closet. Below is an example of how versatile one dress can be. One look is more laid back and edgy, the other elegant and polished, though they both incorporate the same dress. 

Tights and boots are winter wardrobe staples that can transform a summer dress into a cozy, winter appropriate ensemble. Thick, opaque styles will keep you warm and help you get more wear out of your dresses. Pair a leather jacket with a delicately printed dress for a stylish and unexpected edge.  Choose a classic carryall handbag in a neutral shade. It works for all seasons and with almost any outfit.

For a dressier occasion, like a holiday party, add tights and pumps. Throw a blazer over your dress, and opt for an envelope clutch for effortless sophistication. Add some glamour with statement accessories, like a cocktail ring and watch.