How To Make Your Own Motivational Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

I love listening to music when I’m down or need inspiration. However, quite a lot of traditional motivational playlists on Spotify and YouTube have songs that didn’t really fit me. They distract me more than help me. So, here are my tips on how to create your own motivational playlist.

Pick something important

This playlist is your own and is meant to help motivate you, not just the generally population. Pick songs that have meaning to you and relate to you. A true motivational playlist should make you feel invincible. Music can do wonders for your mental state and finding just what puts you back on track is important for surviving difficult times at college.

Pick things that you like

A lot of motivational playlist have genres of music I don’t typically listen to. While I occasionally come across new music I like through this, often times I skip over these songs. Try to pick music from your background. My motivational playlist begins from middle school songs I listened to that still help motivate me. The familiarity is also comforting.

Pick songs that speak to you

Sometimes motivational songs on common playlists don’t exactly tell me what I want to hear. Or, they don’t tell me what I need to hear. Pick songs that may be slow, but have a message that inspires you or picks you up. There are some Blue October and Maria Mena songs that are rather solemn, but they tell me what I need to feel better. It doesn’t exactly motivate me to go running, but it motivates to me to keep at whatever I’m doing and believe in myself.

Don’t feel ashamed

Finally, your playlist is your own. There is no shame in having any songs on there that others might find odd. My motivational playlist includes two songs from Barbie: Princess Power because they make me feel like I can do anything.

Here are some songs from my playlist:

I Want It- Blue October

No Way- Starkid (AVPS)

Number One Rule- Jake Miller

Watch Me- Icon for Hire

Coolest Thing Ever- Barbie: Princess Power

All This Time (Pick-Me-Up Song)- Maria Mena

It’s your own vision and therapy, make your motivational playlist your own!