How Cardio Dance Gave Me A Huge Confidence Boost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

We’ve all been there. Sometimes you just look in the mirror and you don’t feel great about yourself. Those days where you just look at everyone around you and see how much better they are than you. Everyone goes through it. For me, I went through a break up and I just felt completely horrible about myself. I couldn’t see myself clearly, I nit-picked every little thing about myself, and I thought of a million different ways I could change it. Then one day my friend practically dragged me to a Cardio Dance class at the Rec. I was so incredibly nervous that I stood in the very back of the class and prayed that nobody would look at me. By the end of the class the instructor who was teaching came up to me and told me how awesome she thought I was and that I was a fantastic dancer. I remember in that moment everything just vanished, all my problems, the self-doubt. Everything just seemed to disappear and for the first time in a long time I felt good about myself in my own body. I didn’t wish to be someone else; I was happy with who I was for that brief hour.

So fast-forward a year and girl I’m THRIVING; I have been going to Cardio Dance every day of the week for an entire year. I haven’t felt more confident and proud of myself in a very long time. Every time I go I feel like a brand new person and I haven’t thought of myself negatively ever since. Not to mention the amount of health benefits Cardio Dance gives you. I drink more water and I have built up my stamina.

For anyone reading this who doesn’t think exercise is your thing, I encourage you to go to at least one Cardio Dance class. For me ever since that first day it was never about losing weight or staying in shape that kept me coming back for more. It was the way the class made me look at myself differently and honestly made me feel more and more beautiful. This has become the one thing I do for me and everyone should have that one thing that makes them feel like their best selves.

Check out the schedule of group fitness classes at the University Rec Center here!

Liz is a current student at UNL, majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Education.