From the Girl Who Found Herself in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

I was told that college would be the scariest, most exciting part of my life. Let me tell you­ ­– it’s been scary, but why underestimate the next six decades of your life? Sure, college is exciting but it’s not all about the parties and drinking on the weekends. It’s about the opportunities you allow yourself to grab ahold of, not just the materialistic opportunities, but the opportunities that allow yourself to grow.

Don’t for once think that on your first day of college you’ll have your life figured out. Be prepared to change your major at least once and don’t expect to keep those high school friends you were once so close with. The biggest lesson I’ll take away from these four years is that in order to grow, you must allow yourself to adapt to change. Don’t take the effort to try to plan every detail of your future, because odds are that sometimes things won’t work out the way you want them to. 

I spent my first two years of college stuck and unhappy. I didn’t allow myself to walk away from the bubble I had so comfortably created. As my life kept moving, I stood at the same storefront where I started. I felt myself relying on others for happiness. And guess what – I wasn’t happy. However, it wasn’t being left behind that made me break from my cocoon. I had to realize that I no longer had to conform to what others wanted from me. I was in charge of my own happiness. And guess what – now I’m happy.

It’s easy to feel alone in college, even surround by thousands of others. But you don’t have to be! Putting your feelings first isn’t a selfish act. Your emotional and mental health will determine your level of happiness. It’s easy to victimize yourself, but that only creates a pessimistic outlook. You’d be surprised the obstacles you can overcome when you have courage in yourself and stop relying on others to convince you that you’re good enough.

I came into college not knowing what I wanted to be when I grow up and I’m leaving college even more confused on what I want to make of my life. But college taught me more about myself than anything else. I’ve learned to love so deeply, I’ve traveled to distant places, I’ve developed a new perspective and deeper appreciation on life. I’ve made new friends that have made me laugh until my cheeks hurt and pushed me to be my best self.   

Cheers to creating an even more exciting life and entering this thing called adulthood!

XOXO!

Your Co-Campus Correspondent,

Taylor Garlow