The Flower-Child Halo: Fall’s Updated Version of the Hippie-Chic Accessory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

The annoyingly inconsistent temperatures we’ve been experiencing lately pose a challenge to dress appropriately and comfortably. You’re (finally) breaking out your boots and knit sweaters one day, only to be forced to revert back to shorts and sandals due to an 80-degree heat wave the next.  Although hippie inspired headbands and flower crowns are typically summer style staples, this fall we’re seeing updated versions with edgy, ornate metal accents and jewels. This dainty accessory is versatile enough to be paired with warm weather looks or a cozy fall ensemble, making it a great addition to your early fall wardrobe.

Thin, 70s-esque headbands with soft floral details are transformed into crown-like versions that are slightly ornamental and royal looking. This baroque- inspired headband, spotted on the Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2012 runway, features lovely intricate metal foliage.

The flower-child halo has also been crowning celebs everywhere. We’ve seen Nicole Richie, Kirsten Dunst and even avant-garde singer Lady Gaga donning elaborate crown headbands recently.

While this luxe, designer version and celeb staple may not be the most practical option for budget conscious college fashionistas, there are some more wearable and wallet friendly versions at H&M and Forever 21.

Incorporating one of these pretty hair ornaments is a simple way to add a romantic touch to a lady-like updo or some sparkle to messy boho waves.  Rock this statement headband to add some polish to your fall wardrobe and you’re sure to turn heads on campus.

Photos: 1/2/3/4