Colors and Patterns and Tassels, Oh, My!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

September 9th was an exciting day to attend New York fashion week. With some of the greatest designers and brands presenting their Spring/Summer RTW collections, I was trolling through Vogue Runways like light speed. Unfortunately for us Midwest gals we are not able to strut our stuff through the streets of New York City but Instagram and Snapchat made it seem like this dream was reality.

Jason Wu, Nicole Miller, Kate Spade New York and many others showcased collections that gave life to the runway through color. These specific designers did not hop on the bandwagon of using both male and female models but sticking to their classic roots has proved worthy of mention.

Jason Wu introduced a strong collection with an emphasis on reviving luxury clothing. Who doesn’t love luxurious material goods? The sheerness of his fabrics did not take away from the strong constructed lines in the floor length and midi dresses. His most noted pieces exploded with a flirtatious and feminine vibe all thanks to the Technicolor florals. Wu took a bold step into the depths of mixing upbeat colors but it made his collection memorable.

Nicole Miller immediately shocked the audience with patterns inspired by a country just shy of the equator. She kept pieces that have proved popular in the ready to wear market, bomber jackets and frayed denim jackets, and I must say she was successful in pairing these trendy pieces with ancient patterns. The busyness of the complicated designs was balanced by solid black and white pieces, which helped relieve the eyes. I do not think that Miller intended to be as luxurious as Jason Wu because sadly, many of her designs looked cheap.

Last but finally not least, the holy grail of recognizable brands, Kate Spade New York. It is hard to find woman who does not own a single Kate Spade accessory. Sticking true to the stylish New York woman aesthetic, bright romantic floral patterns began the runway. The collection takes a turn for the better as tassels on tassels decorate the clothing and accessories. As I continued, full force Moroccan colors and patterns starting jumping off my computer screen. My love for these energetic, beautifully thought out designs is deeper than my new significant interest in tassels. I mean, if you have not seen the adorable camel head tasseled navy sweater, than you are missing out. Another memorable piece was the bag that looks like a camera that you can wear around your neck. Only Kate Spade New York can make a bag around your neck look so good.

Each of theses collections, whether bad or good, was memorable because of the bright colors and daring moves that were taken to achieve the final masterpiece. As recognizable designers it is easy to fall into the same groove but comfort levels were challenged and rules were broken and that is all I could want from these designers. Cheers to an amazing round of shows, bring on London Fashion Week!