burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Clothing Swap: A more ethical way of shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

The other day I was watching a video from one of my favorite Youtubers, Marzia. It was a clothing swap video in which she and one of her friends sent each other a package full of a few pieces of clothing that they don’t wear anymore in hopes that the other person will make better use out of the clothing pieces. I was very inspired by the video because it sparked my interest in the harms of fast fashion and how its better to be creative with how you get your clothes in order to minimize your carbon footprint. Fast fashion industries are also known for paying their workers very low wages, so swapping clothes with a friend is also a great way to help combat unethical labor as well. I love to thrift and buy second hand clothes, so learning a new way in which I can do essentially the same thing but with clothes from a close friend was very intriguing to me.  So next time you have the urge to shop till you drop, instead of going to the mall and going on a spree, perhaps get in touch with a friend and see if they want to exchange clothes with you! You may be surpised at how much fun it will be and how good clothes are that you receive! After watching the video, I decided that I want to stop shopping at fast fashion companies as much as possible and start being more aware about where my clothes are coming from so that I can further embrace my love of fashion while still being environmentally friendly.