Campus Celebrity: Katie Esters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Katie Esters is a freshman who is a member of Big Red Singers, the university show choir.

What is your major?Undeclared.

Where did your love from music stem from?I think my dad influenced my early taste for music. Throughout middle school and high school I found many different genres of music that I loved and the need to discover new music has followed me to college. 

Do you have family involved in music?All my family members love music and have participated in choir when they were in high school. We’re a definitely a musical bunch.

What music related activities did you participate in from elementary school through high school?In high school I was in varsity show choir for 3 years and concert choir for all 4 years. I was a lead in 2 of my school’s musicals and had numerous positions in the music department such as dance captain and student director my senior year.

What is your favorite part about BRS?The people. I’ve never met so many amazing, hilarious, and kind hearted people in one group. I’ve made so many friends in BRS, and although we might be completely different people we all have one thing in common – a passion for show choir. When we’re together, we seriously kick butt in show choir.

Do you want to have a career in music after college?I don’t know if I want to have a career in music per se, but I want to keep music as a big part of my life and still participate in things like choir and musicals!

Who are your music artists that inspire you?Some of my favorite artists include Lana Del Rey, Coldplay, Beyonce, The 1975, Lorde, Adele, and Sam Smith.

What do you hope to achieve in BRS?I hope to maintain the friendships I’ve made in BRS, especially with the seniors that won’t be coming back next year, and to do well with every performance we have during the year. We also have a huge competition called Midwest Cup at the Lied Center in January, and I hope that I nail the performance because it’s our biggest show of the year!

I am a sophomore journalism major and Spanish minor.