This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

A goal digger is a woman who has complete control over her life and her decisions and works hard to strive for success. She has dreams, goals, and aspirations for independence and equal opportunity. Here are some more tips for becoming a goal digger from author of Goal Digger, Alicia Dunams.

1. Create a roadmap. Your goals for the next year or so should be listed. It’s always important to set both big and small goals, both short and long-term. From oil changes, to license renewals, to traveling abroad. No goal should go unlisted.

2. Get rid of the valueless. You should now be disconnected from at least one social network. This will be a month-long task that will be necessary so that you can spend less time indulging in the lives of others and more time indulging in your own. You should also set guidelines for yourself. How many times can you go to your ex’s or frenemy’s facebook/twitter/instagram page? Once a week, once a month, never? Lastly, three pages should have been dedicated to listing people and things that you want to let go of.                                       

3. Start tackling the things on your goal sheet and make the necessary adjustments to your list that was made about a month ago! And if you find yourself idle and not doing much, begin Spring Cleaning. Sometimes when there is so much going on around us (in our rooms, for example), we lose focus because we’re trying to get it all sorted. Sort your surrounding environment so there is room left for you to sort through your mind! Trash old papers, give away old clothes, and dust neglected corners. Spring clean & tackle your goals! An empty mind is the devil’s playground so always have something worthwhile to do!      

4. Create a mantra and positive affirmations list. “I clearly see all there is to be grateful for in life. Through gratitude my world expands”. “Each day I take a small step toward achieving my goals”. “I am willing to try new things courageously”. These are some positive daily affirmations that serve as constant reminders throughout the day. But when it comes to your life and all that you are and want to be, what are some things that keep you grounded and pushing forward? This week’s project is to create a list of personal mantras and affirmations that you will say throughout the day. “Positive affirmations will attract positive events into your life. In a study, it is said that the brain rewires itself after every major experience a person goes through. With this being said, constant repetition of something will create and strengthen new connections in the brain. If you begin to develop a belief in something that you say or repeatedly think, the brain will rewire itself and bring your thoughts into a physical form. Remember that the body is controlled by the brain, whatever the brain thinks the body will manifest. The brain controls the body through hormones, if the brain thinks that the body is in trouble, the brain will then release adrenaline. This happens since the brain wants the whole body to enter the fight or flight response state. If the brain senses happiness it will release Endorphins; through this hormone, the whole body reacts appropriately to happy thoughts or events. Affirmations can make drastic changes in your life, if the brain finally believes the thought or word you say or think; the brain will release the right hormone to make what you think or say physically felt by the body. The universe will give you what you think of or say; and this is the primary premise of positive affirmations” Don’t wait for a fortune cookie to tell you what you want to hear, create your own positive statements to confidently live by.                

5. Treat yourself to a few things and celebrate your new life! Perhaps you’ll go bungie jumping like you’ve always wanted to or perhaps you’ll throw a cooking party at your condo like you’ve always planned! No it’s not your birthday, but it is a time celebrate YOU. No one can appreciate you like you can, so show yourself a little love. Also, take a vacation and live vicariously through the life of another through purchasing and reading a novel. Buy a book about a girl like you or a person who interests you and spend the remainder of the year reading during your downtime. Indulge in fictional characters and yourself instead of obsessing over the life of your peers. Books can take you places you may never go and characters can open your eyes to a life you never had. Reading books can be a humbling experience that will show you that people aren’t always what they seem to be on the outside and that everyone life has it’s share of problems. A lesson necessary for changing your mindset when you get back to the outside world and back to seeing others you once envied from time to time.

Source: goaldigger.com

I am a sophomore journalism major and Spanish minor.