Aussie Archives, Thursday, February 5, 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

G’Day!

As most of you probably do not know, my name is Rebecca Walter and I will be studying abroad this semester in the land down under! While enjoying my extra long break (my semester doesn’t begin until March), I am just now getting ready to take flight to Australia. I’m excited that I get the chance to take you all along with me on my journey!

I will be keeping a bi weekly blog here on Her Campus UNL while I am abroad. I’m hoping my updates will help those of you who are thinking about studying abroad or have already made the decision to go abroad, with planning, what to expect, and what it’s like while experiencing a new culture.

Currently I’m still in the states and just getting my bags ready for take off. By this time next week, I will finally be in Oz. I’ve been preparing for a while now and it’s constantly on my mind, so to actually be getting this close makes me extremely excited and extremely nervous.

I will be studying at the University of Wollongong. Wollongong is the 10th largest city in Australia, so it’s not huge. It’s about an hour and a half south of Sydney on the east coast. Wollongong seems to be a laid back city, with beautiful beaches, countryside, mountains, and rainforests.  It is also home to the largest Buddhist Temple in the Southern Hemisphere.

Photo from https://teamuowaustralia.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/we-love-you-cos-youre-from-wollongong/

I will have a lot to talk about through these posts, but if there is something specific you may be wondering about, I would love to try and answer as many questions as I can. I’ll accept questions through my email, beccawalter1@yahoo.com. Also, if you are wanting to learn about my experiences further, I will be keeping up my own personal blog, http://www.rebeccawalter.weebly.com, so be sure to check it out! 

Wannabe world traveler. Devoted coffee drinker. Animal lover. Pizza advocate.