6 Things You Didn’t Know Coffee Was Good For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Mmmm, coffee. The morning drink staple that millions rely on to function throughout the day. I just recently started to drink coffee, and boy, I do not know how I got anything done without it. This recent finding led me to wonder what else I could use the miracle beans for – and it turns out, there are plenty of great options. I’ve picked my six favorite to share with you.

1. Hair Rinse

If you have blonde locks, this one isn’t for you. But if you’re like me and have medium-brown hair, this is a great way to add some color and shine to your strands when they feel a little dull. Make a pot of coffee, let it cool, mix it with a glass of water, and then pour it over your hair. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse out – I like to use cold water to seal in the shine. It’s seriously that simple. Ta-da, magicially shiny and vibrant hair. Plus, it smells great.

2. Skin Exfoliant

This is my personal fave way to use coffee. While you can go the DIY route – mixing some coffee grounds with olive oil – I like to take it easy and opt for a premade scrub. I just recently tried out a coffee facial scrub from Simple Sugars, and I must say that my skin has never felt softer. Coffee helps buff away dead skin while providing antioxidants, reducing skin redness, and a boost of caffiene for anti-aging benefits. Seriously, you won’t regret doing this. 

3. Cellulite-Blaster

Winter vacation, anyone? If you’re worried about pesky cellulite (even though you shouldn’t be!) coffee is here to help. Check out the instructions here and get ready to have soft, smooth, glowing skin. 

4. Stain Remover

You know those pesky little stains that refuse to come off of your cookie sheets or stainless steel pans? There is actually an easy fix. Take old coffee grounds and a sponge to the stains and watch ’em dissapear. 

5. Homemade Candles

This is the next project on my to-do list. COFFEE IN A CANDLE? Yes, yes, a million times yes. Can you imagine how nice it would be to have your apartment smell like your favorite coffeeshop? I’m not particularly crafty, but this seems pretty straightfoward. Melt wax, mix it with coffee grounds in a paper cup, let it cool, then take it out of the cup. Plus, it’s practically a free project – the only thing you might need to buy is a candle wick. Find more detailed directions here.

6. Mocha Brownies

Do I even need to explain this one? A college girl’s two favorite things – coffee and brownies – turned into baked perfection. Just substitute a little bit of the milk your recipe calls for with some leftover coffee. Try not to eat the whole pan – even though that’s how it usually goes. 

So, in conclusion, I have just one thing to say:

Coffee, thank you for being you. 

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter.