This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Spring Break is finally here. The week-long break all UNL students have been patiently longing for. Some people are kicking it back home, staying in Lincoln or venturing on exotic adventures. I took it upon myself to outline a few key tips that I’ve learned through my travels as a college student. 

Pack your own snacks. 

Before I ever, EVER, step foot into an airport, I make sure to hit up my local Whole Foods, or other grocer, to stock up on some of the good stuff. Personally, I hate airport food and those lame, overpriced convenience stores. Of course, there are limitations on what you can bring through TSA, so I suggest sticking to your dry, packaged goods. No fresh fruit or veggies. 

Keep your essentials handy. 

Make sure you keep your passport/ID/ticket in the frontmost pocket of your personal item or carry on. This makes TSA so much easier for you (and the person behind you) and takes the airport angst out of everything. Don’t be one of those people who are digging through everything just to find their ticket. 

Freshen up.

I don’t know about you guys, but when I leave an airport or get off a flight, I feel groggy, gross and tired. I like to keep things handy to help me feel fresh and clean on and off a fight. I like to pack mints, make-up remover cloths, moisturizer, lotion and my “essentials-only” make up bag. I keep things like light-wear mascara, BB cream, eyebrow pencil and eyelash curler in that thing and it’s been a lifesaver. Be sure to drink lots and lots of water. 

Make airport time, productive time.

Although it can be stressful and exhausting being in an airport and on a plane, I always try to be my most productive. It makes perfect sense, you spend hours and hours waiting with nowhere to go and nothing to do, why not get something done?

Try to pack light.

I know it’s hard to leave behind your beloved Gucci bag or full bottle of bubble bath, but for the sake of saving money and hassle, try packing all your essentials into a carry-on. Most airlines allow one carry-on and personal item. I always try to leave out the option of checking a bag because you save so much money ($50!!). Definitely give it a try. 

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter