5 (Not So Basic) Activities to Keep You Entertained During Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Winter – that means sledding, ice skating and trying to stay as cozy as possible. All great things, but as the frosty days drag on you start to itch for the promise of spring break. Here are some fresh ideas to get you out of your sweats and Netflix-coma.

1. Go Sledding Play Capture the Flag

Sledding is fun after the first couple times down the hill – but an intense game of capture the flag with all your old friends is better. And by intense, I mean really intense. Build snow-forts as hideouts and make the prize a good one – like the other team buys appetizers at dinner afterwards.

2.Watch Holiday Movies Make a Holiday Movie

Seriously, how many times do you really need to watch “A Christmas Story”? According to my mother that number is infinite – but once or twice should be plenty. Break out the video camera you asked for in 8th grade and start filming. Make short film out of the footage you come up with and have a “premiere” night with popcorn and M&M’s.  

3. Bake for the Fam Bake for a Good Cause

Let’s be honest – your mom always sends you home from break with too many leftover sweets. Save yourself a few calories and take a pan of those peanut-butter balls to a local homeless shelter. Or, if you want to get really creative, bake dog treats and take them to a no-kill animal shelter.

4. Go Ice Skating Go Somewhere New

Sorry – but who actually thoroughly enjoys ice-skating? Take the embarrassment and pain of falling on your butt six, seven, or twenty-five times and take a spontaneous road trip instead and go somewhere you’ve never been. This could even mean the small town a few miles over. You never know what you might find or the adventures it could lead to. Bring a camera, your best friends, and a positive attitude.

5. Take Family Photos Have Your Own Photo Shoot

This sounds ridiculous – but don’t try and lie and say you’ve never secretly wished to be on America’s Next Top Model. You might not me able to nail the “smize” but at least you’ll get a good laugh out of it. Maybe you’ll even end up with a few cute pics to Instagram. 

So, although your bed always looks insanely inviting, fight the urge to take another three hour nap or day dream of warmer weather – this will help you appreciate the winter season a little more than you thought you would and is a fun twist on the average weekend plans. 

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter.