5 Common Relationship Deal Breakers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

It’s a Friday night, you’ve finally scored a date with that cute guy you’ve been crushing on, and things are going well. The conversation’s good, he brought you flowers, and you’re thinking that this could finally be The One you have been waiting for. Just as you’re thinking about the centerpieces for your future wedding, he gets a call he says he has to take. Fair enough, you’ll give him a minute. A minute turns into five, which turns into twenty, and you’re starting to get peeved. A guy who thinks his phone is more important than you is clearly not worth your time. You have stumbled upon a common deal breaker that many women will not put up with. So guys take note. Here are 5 common deal breakers that women simply won’t put up with.

1. Gadget Guy
If he is constantly attached to his mobile device and can’t seem to stop using that app he just had to have, something is off. Sure, technology is nice, but when it interferes with basic human interaction that he should be having with you, that is a problem that needs to be fixed. Also, FaceTime and Skype shouldn’t be the only way he contacts you. Guys, send a handwritten letter sometime, rather than a text. It’ll make everything you say mean a little bit more.

2. Family Man
The age-old saying will usually prove to be true: look at the way a man treats his mother. Family is important, and it should be an important factor in a relationship. If he fails to introduce you to his family, or doesn’t seem to want to get to know yours, something may be up. Also, no one wants to have to deal with a nasty mother in law, and if things aren’t clicking between you two, that could be a big problem later on in the road.

3. The Ultimate Bro
Obviously it’s important for him to have time with his best guy friends. But that time should not be taking over your relationship. If your dates usually consist of you watching him play Call of Duty with his bros, you may need to find another beau. Let’s be honest, not that many girls will appreciate the numerous man nights that take over both of your guys’ time.

4. Smarts Count
Women will always appreciate a guy who can speak grammatically and politically correct. It’s a relief to have a conversation with your man without constantly correcting him in your head. “I have no tolerance of boys if they misuse the words gay or retarded. I tell them to pick another word then move on,” says Mary Pistillo, a sophomore at UNL. Maturity is not an option in a successful relationship.

5. Nice Guys Finish First
He should call when he says he will. Don’t accept lying, cheating, or manipulation. While it may be tempting to accept bad boy tendencies, there is no excuse for someone not treating you the way you deserve to be treated. In the end this is the biggest deal breaker, and the one that will make or break a relationship, whether it’s a friendship or a romantic relationship.