We Are The Champions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Union chapter.

There is no doubt that Union College has established itself on the education spectrum; now the hockey team has put it on the map for being the NCAA champions for the first time. This win was a combination of team effort, countless time put into the sport, and determination.

It was equivalent to the Super Bowl for the city of Schenectady with local businesses and other sponsors sending the team love and support to Philadelphia. Many students travelled to support the team while most visited the local pubs or the ice rink to watch the affair unfold. This event ultimately brought the community and students of Union College altogether to see the boys make history.

The Dutchmen indeed made history with a 7-4 victory over one of the top ranked teams Minnesota. Union was the underdog that not many people saw coming for the win.

It was a nerve-wracking game when Minnesota established two early leads. This was disappointing for the Dutchmen but to their surprise Union scored three goals in a span of what was close to 4:00 minutes late in the first period.  We can thank Mike Vecchione (4:01), Eli Lichtenwald 57 seconds later, and Daniel Ciampini 2:57 left).

“All three of those goals were pack-of-wolf goals where we were just throwing the puck on net,” said Captain Mat Bodie (per NCAA.com).

Kevin Sullivan, Shayne Gotisbehere, Max Novak, and Bodie scored with 36 saves coming from Colin Stevens for Union. The boys kept strong through the rest of the game not letting the Gophers pull any fast ones.

Below is a video of the journey the Dutchmen took to make history

http://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey-men/2014-04-13/mhky-frozen-four-unio…

I am an aspiring singer and television personality on a mission to adovcate for big cats around the world