Five Things to Keep in Mind When Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Union chapter.

(Shea’s photo)

First of all, if you haven’t submitted your study abroad application, submit it now. It will be the best time of your life. Here are the things that you should keep in mind when you’re abroad:

1.Stay Safe: The number one thing to remember when you are abroad is to stay safe. You can never be too safe, especially in a foreign country. Remember to never go anywhere alone, always have at least one buddy (although it is better to travel in threes). It is also important to always have a form of communication on you, like a phone that works out of the United States.

2.Get Outside Your Comfort Zone: The experiences that you’ll have abroad are unlike any you will ever have. To make your time about the best it can possibly be you have to stretch outside your comfort zone. Whether it be trying new foods you’ve never had before, or skydiving in Croatia, it’s important to try new things.

3.Meet New People: BECOME FRIENDS WITH THE LOCALS! The locals want to get to know you and they can teach you so much about the city you are living in and the culture of the country you are in. They will have the best tips about where to eat, what to see, and where to go. If you are not friends with the local then you are not truly living abroad.

4.Travel EVERYWHERE: This is your opportunity to travel and explore a new country. Especially if you are in Europe it is the best opportunity for you to see so many different places in Europe. Don’t just travel outside of the country your living in, but find out all the country your studying has to offer you. Travel all over.

5.Get Lost in Your City: Get to know the city you are living in like the back of your hand. You will most likely never have another opportunity to live in this city again so take advantage of it. Each city has so much to offer and make sure you take the time to see each and everyone of those things.