Campus Celebrity: Kaitlyn Suarez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Union chapter.

Meet Kaitlyn Suarez!

Talk about a true campus celebrity. Aside from studying abroad in Australia, running the Dutchmen dip, and so much more, this student embodies a selfless, caring woman who epitomizes the true meaning behind being a volunteer!

1. Why did you choose to start the Dutchmen Dip?

Cancer affects the lives of all people, from children to adults. Personally, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma when I was 15 years old and battled it throughout high school.  At college, I was elected Co-President of the Colleges Against Cancer club.  I founded the Dutchmen Dip for Kristen Shinebarger, an 11-year-old member of the Union community who battled Ewing’s Sarcoma, to raise money to help pay for her medical expenses. 

2. How did this years Dutchmen Dip go?

This year, the Dutchmen Dip benefited Kristen Shinebarger, as well as two other Union students, Justin Lloyd ’16 and Nate Greenberg ’14.  The event was bigger and better than last year.  Over 100 students plunged down our 30ft blow-up water slide into a pool of water!  We reached our fundraising goal of $10,000 and the total amount will be split between each of the families. 

3. What volunteer activities are you involved in off campus?

Off campus, I am involved in raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  During my first year, I raised $4,500 and ran in the Disney World Half Marathon for Team in Training.  I also interned at Stony Brook University Medical Hospital on the pediatrics oncology floor where I had received my treatment. It was rewarding to give back to other cancer patients by providing hope, motivation, and inspiration. 

4. Any academic achievements?

At Union, I am a Union Scholar as well as a National Science Foundation STEM scholar.  I am on the Dean’s List and was recently inducted in the Omicron Kappa Delta National Leadership Society.

5. Any advice you could give someone who is looking to volunteer more on campus?

Volunteering on campus has been the best experience in my life.  It is definitely daunting to approach a meeting where you are unfamiliar with the leaders and members, but go for it.  I walked into my first meeting alone, and came out as the Co-President a year later.  Clubs enable different class years to come together, share experiences, and advice.  Responsibility, teamwork, and creativity are a few of the traits that blossom through participating in a club.  Pursue your passion; I promise that you will get much more out of an hour each week in your club than an hour in your studies.   

6. Best volunteer experience:

My community rallied together to support me during my cancer battle. One event was called, “Fight for Kait Night” where the entire gymnasium was colored with purple to support me.  The event inspired me to give back and motivate other cancer patients.  There is no better feeling than when I stood at the Dutchmen Dip and saw my hard work come to fruition.  I believe the inspiration and positive energy created on that day will be instilled within everyone who participated, especially Justin, Nate, and Kristen.  The entire Union community came together over a single cause that created an impact that will echo for years.

7. Other accomplishments at Union:

During my first year, I began the Good Eats program at Union.  The program teaches young adults on the autism spectrum how to cook and prepare healthy meals.  The program works in coordination with the Schenectady ARC, and the cooking events are held on campus.  From preparation, to chopping and cooking, we prepare meals together while creating friendships and memories.  Also, I was appointed manager of the Culinary House, and I run cross-country and track and field.  My major is Geology, and I was selected for a competitive internship to Alaska to collect and analyze rocks for my senior thesis.

At Union, Kaitlyn shows us how easy it is to get involved with volunteering or even starting your own club on campus. Get involved through the Kenney Center or by emailing Janet Sweeney at sweeneyj@union.edu!