5 Winter Must Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Union chapter.

It feels like spring break is just around the corner. Unfortunately we all have to wait a little bit longer until we can be back on our couch at home or sitting on a beach far from the polar vortex. Thanks to Union’s notorious “wind tunnel”, some of us are forced to throw on a sweatpants and a puffy coat and call it a day. These five staple pieces serve the same purpose, but help you look just a little more put together!

1.     A cable knit infinity scarf

Knitted scarves are classic. The infinity scarf is one of the warmest options. The thicker the scarf, the warmer you’ll be! There’s no need to tie is around your neck and it won’t fly off you when the wind blows. It’s fine to go with neutrals, blacks and browns but if you’re outfit isn’t that colorful—add a bright scarf!

2.     Knee-high boots

It’s always tempting to throw on Uggs or warm Sorrels on the coldest day (we all do it), but there’s a way to make your good leather boots be just as cozy. Just wear a warm pair of 100% wool socks. My personal favorite are the Soulmate Socks made of 100% Merino wool. Pairing your socks and leather boots will let you be cozy and chic while hustling around campus.

3.     A chunky knit cardigan

Wear this if it’s one of those rare warm sunny days or underneath your parka if it’s the usual 20 degrees. Chunky cable knits are timeless and cozy! You can take it a step further and belt it.

4.     A faux shearling vest

Although it’s hard to find, there are still a lot of cute vests that aren’t real shearling! It’s just as warm and looks very similar if you find a good one. Michelle Trachtenberg from Gossip Girl has been seen wearing a $29 Old Navy vest. Not only is it less expensive, it’s animal friendly! 

5.     A fur trimmed puffy coat

These down-filled jackets are for your coldest days. It can be hard to look stylish in a puffy jacket but wearing one with a fur-trimmed hood will make all the difference. Not only that, when you forget your hat it’s always nice to pull the hood over your head rushing between classes on a cold day.

I am a sophomore at Union College.