Woah! Heat Wave in February! …so what do I wear?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

This week is bringing the heat! Seeing the snow melt around you and the sun shining brighter than usual is enough to make you believe spring is right around the corner. However, we must remember that it’s only February and, although we don’t feel it now, cold weather is still in the air. So how is a college girl supposed to dress for class in these crazy Iowa conditions? It’s not quite spring, but it’s definitely not feeling like winter either. Here are some fashion tips to keep you warm but not too warm during this time.

1.  Keep the Rubber Flip-Flops in the shower.

Sweat pants and Ugg boots is a typical look for any collegiate in the winter. That look in itself is a whole other fashion article, so we’ll let that one slide this time.  With this warm weather rolling in, you may be tempted to pull out those summer flip-flops but keep the rubber flip-flops for the shower and beach wear. Just because you have a pair of black rubber flip-flops doesn’t mean those floppy things go with a pair of black dress pants for a presentation. 

Pictured on the right is an example of a fashionable solution that can have that “winter look” but still work in this spring like weather.

The name of this adorable flat is the Zigi Soho Spring Flat. The name says it all. This flat still has the “spring look” with the crystal-embellished bow but its black faux suede fabric allows the winter feel to shine through. Wear this shoe now then save it for dressy occasions during the spring season. Click herefor ordering details.

2.  Save the mini skirt for summer!

It doesn’t matter how warm it is outside in February. Unless you live in a tropical winter destination, an Iowa winter is no place for a miniskirt. Wearing one (no matter how cute that mini skirt is) won’t be a fashion statement but rather a fashion crime.

Embrace the pencil- This is a look that rocks a skirt it a classy and trendy way. Click here to review ordering details.

3.  Coat or no Coat?

We all love a great North Face Jacket. But when you’re out on the town in this warm weather, no one wants to be carrying around a huge winter coat. A sophisticated and affordable solution is a nice leather jacket. Leather is versatile, easy to dress up or down and a must have staple in your closet.

Black or brown, a leather jacket will give you a fashionable edge that compliments any outfit. Click here for more information and purchasing details. 

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.