Throw the Ultimate Christmas Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

“Upon entering the house, all five of your senses will literally be assaulted as soon as you walk in the door. Prepare yourselves”.

This was the final statement in a message I received from a friend of mine whose house was throwing their third annual “Christmas Movie Extravaganza” and, let me tell you, he was not kidding.

The house was nothing short of impressive. When I stepped across the threshold of the rather tiny duplex on Delta Drive I was immediately greeted by the wonderful aroma of homemade cookies and the smiling faces of fellow Christmas enthusiasts. The walls were covered from floor to ceiling with Christmas wrapping paper – even the bathroom. There were Santa hats on the ceiling fan, ornaments on the walls, and Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes lining the living room. There were at least fifty college students with ugly sweaters and Santa attire. Around ten o’clock that night, we all squeezed together like sardines to watch an ultimate winter time classic: Elf. I don’t believe I’ve ever been surrounded by so much Christmas cheer in my life.

It was epic and the best part was knowing that I get to join in the festivities again every Tuesday and Thursday night until Christmas break. Simply being there instantly reminded me why I love Christmas so much and I am truly thankful for the kind men- yes, it was men– who started this tradition.

The reason I tell you this story is to hopefully inspire you to throw equally great and festive shindigs during this merry time of the year. It can be especially refreshing to kick back and enjoy some classic Christmas movies with some friends after a long week of studying and writing papers. Tis the season for joy and laughter, my friends, and this joy can go a long way in helping you stay relaxed, stress-free, and confident in your studies.

So how can you get in on this Christmas spirit, you ask? The first step is to brainstorm ideas and just go for it. It’s one thing to talk about having a get together, but talking about it will only get you so far. Here are some fun party ideas to help jog your creativity and get you started:

• Cup of Joy Party – This is one I’ve recently been invited to by another friend of mine and it’s one that I’m especially excited about. The concept is basically a gift exchange. Each of the party guests will come with a coffee mug full of goodies. This could range from fuzzy socks to candy to jewelry; whatever you can think of! For our party, there is a ten dollar limit on what you can buy in order to prevent one cup from being more appealing than others. At the party, each guest will take turns drawing a number and the coffee mug with the corresponding number is theirs to keep. So simple yet so enticing.
  • Ugly Sweater Party – This one is an oldie but a goodie. The ugly sweater party is a classic college party where you shop your mom’s closet or the nearest Goodwill, pick out the most obnoxious Christmas sweater you can find, and wear it proudly. The party itself can consist of anything from a snack bar to a round of games. Don’t be fooled, though- just because the title says “ugly”, this does not mean you can’t look cute still (our picture on the right shows you how). People love this type of party because it gives you an excuse to “dress up” and celebrate for the sake of celebrating.
  • Ultimate Snow Day Party – This is the spontaneous party you plan for the first snow day of the school year. By snow day, I mean the first day the snow reaches above your knees. Who in their right mind would walk to class in that, right? You celebrate by joyously partaking in all kinds of classic snow day fun. This varies for each person, but it could include hot chocolate, ABC Family Christmas movies (25 Days of Christmas, anyone?), games, and warming up in your favorite, cozy blanket. This type of party is more relaxed but it’s a fun way to spend the day inside and enjoy time with your roommates or friends.

We encourage you to take advantage of this holiday season. Don’t be afraid to “assault” the five senses of your guests with all things Christmas. Take a break from your studies, break out the Christmas cookie cutters, and celebrate. It is, after all, the most wonderful time of the year. 

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.